• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

jedovaty

jedovaty

A few pages back on this post I asked about adding body to oatmilk-based ice cream.  @andrewk512 responded with a suggestion of 4% inulin.  I have not had a chance to try this yet.

Meantime, I happened to be looking over ingredients for Bruster's oat-milk based ice creams, and in addition to a few other oils and creative ingredients, they add pea protein powder.  Could this be a way to add body as well?  I've had pea protein powder and it is quite strongly flavored and puts a very dry, powdery, mealy texture into any drink or food product.  They must be using very little, so perhaps this idea is not quite right.  It does appear towards the end of the base ingredients list before getting to the salts, gums, etc. while the rapeseed/canola oil is ahead of both it and dextrose.  Hmm, maybe it's the oil or a combination of both the oil and protein.  Link here as an example, click the "nutrition info & allergens" for the pdf.

jedovaty

jedovaty

A few pages back on this post I asked about adding body to oatmilk-based ice cream.  @andrewk512 responded with a suggestion of 4% inulin.  I have not had a chance to try this yet.

Meantime, I happened to be looking over ingredients for Bruster's oat-milk based ice creams, and in addition to a few other oils and creative ingredients, they add pea protein powder.  Could this be a way to add body as well?  I've had pea protein powder and it is quite strongly flavored and puts a very dry, powdery, mealy texture into any drink or food product.  They must be using very little, so perhaps this idea is not quite right.  It does appear towards the end of the base ingredients list before getting to the salts, gums, etc. while the rapeseed/canola oil is ahead of both it and dextrose.  Hmm.  Link here as an example, click the "nutrition info & allergens" for the pdf.