• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

ElsieD

ElsieD

Corrected Tree Fruit to Tree Tomato

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

I was curious so did some googling :

Canoa seems to be a brand :

https://canoa.us    can't read anything else on the packet 

zapotec seems to be this ;

zaaa.thumb.jpg.21d9615b0a5622c399de2e189d0716ef.jpg

I have no idea what this tastes like 

good luck w your experiments 

getting those packets is a great idea !

When I bought them I asked for a translation which the young man in the store was unable to provide.  I went back in a few weeks later and the same chap was there so I came out none the wiser.  It sure looks like the picture on the one package is zapote.  The other one says Tree Tomato.  As near as I could find out from by googling was that it was tamarind.  But you can't make ice cream or sorbet with that, can you?

ElsieD

ElsieD

9 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ElsieD 

I was curious so did some googling :

Canoa seems to be a brand :

https://canoa.us    can't read anything else on the packet 

zapotec seems to be this ;

zaaa.thumb.jpg.21d9615b0a5622c399de2e189d0716ef.jpg

I have no idea what this tastes like 

good luck w your experiments 

getting those packets is a great idea !

When I bought them I asked for a translation which the young man in the store was unable to provide.  I went back in a few weeks later and the same chap was there so I came out none the wiser.  It sure looks like the picture on the one package is zapote.  The other one says Tree Fruit.  As near as I could find out from by googling was that it was tamarind.  But you can't make ice cream or sorbet with that, can you?