• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

16 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What kind of wet grinder is this?  I use a lot of ginger and would like to do this.  I'm thinking ginger is too hard for a coffee grinder to pulverize.  A food processor maybe?

I generally store ginger in the freezer and microplane it as needed.  When I made that ginger paste, I was cooking a lot from Dishoom and that cookbook included a recipe for ginger paste and called for it in all recipes.  The book says to use a blender or mini food processor for the job.  It also adds some vegetable oil (25 ml/180g ginger root) to assist in mixing. 

I started out making just a half batch so I used the little wet grinder that you asked about.  I bought a small Revel grinder (eG-friendly Amazon.com link) to whizz up just a serving or 2 of mint or cilantro chutney but it handled the ginger (pre-sliced) just as well. It's basically like a whirly blade coffee grinder but the bowl is removable so it can handle wet stuff.  I paid ~ $35 for it 3 years ago but I can't find it available at present. 

I did take note of the caution described here by @loki in the thread about that grinder and have been careful to make sure that no liquid drips down outside the bowl.  For example, I would normally clean something like this by running it with water and a drop of dish soap.  That is basically a recipe for for liquid overflowing and dripping down into the motor chamber.  Glad I learned that before I destroyed it!

I use it a couple of times a week.  It's been great for making amounts of herb pastes or chutneys that are too small to properly engage the blades of my regular or immersion blender.  

Sorry for the long winded answer 🙃

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

What kind of wet grinder is this?  I use a lot of ginger and would like to do this.  I'm thinking ginger is too hard for a coffee grinder to pulverize.  A food processor maybe?

I generally store ginger in the freezer and microplane it as needed.  When I made that ginger paste, I was cooking a lot from Dishoom and that cookbook included a recipe for ginger paste and called for it in all recipes.  The book says to use a blender or mini food processor for the job.  It also adds some vegetable oil (25 ml/180g ginger root) to assist in mixing. 

I started out making just a half batch so I used the little wet grinder that you asked about.  I bought a small Revel grinder to whizz up just a serving or 2 of mint or cilantro chutney but it handled the ginger (pre-sliced) just as well. It's basically like a whirly blade coffee grinder but the bowl is removable so it can handle wet stuff.  I paid ~ $35 for it 3 years ago but I can't find it available at present. 

I did take note of the caution described here by @loki in the thread about that grinder and have been careful to make sure that no liquid drips down outside the bowl.  For example, I would normally clean something like this by running it with water and a drop of dish soap.  That is basically a recipe for for liquid overflowing and dripping down into the motor chamber.  Glad I learned that before I destroyed it!

I use it a couple of times a week.  It's been great for making amounts of herb pastes or chutneys that are too small to properly engage the blades of my regular or immersion blender.  

Sorry for the long winded answer 🙃