• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

On 5/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, cdh said:

I've not even received my box in the mail yet, and questions are forming from all the reading up I'm doing.  Has anybody figured out the absolute minimum Brix for the frozen stuff to be safe for the machine.  I read that a block of frozen water is too hard for machine to grind through... yet frozen pineapple bits in syrup work fine.  Everybody here working on the dairyless stuff must encounter similar issues.  Has anybody with a refractometer done any measurements and come to any conclusions?  Does the machine have any clutch-like safeguards built in, or is it a recipe for a hard fail/smoking motor if you go past the "too hard" threshold? 

Speculation: I think this is a non issue. I have done mixes with as low as 11% sugar (Per Se's white chocolate snow recipe; a lemon snow test) that had no issues whatsoever. These mixtures are 100% ice at temps as high as -8C. I think you are going to have palatability issues before you throw anything in there unsafe, unless you decided to make shaved ice. I think most of the issues people are having are from inappropriate textures, people are throwing crazy stuff in there on facebook and treating it almost like a blender

andrewk512

andrewk512

On 5/5/2022 at 8:59 AM, cdh said:

I've not even received my box in the mail yet, and questions are forming from all the reading up I'm doing.  Has anybody figured out the absolute minimum Brix for the frozen stuff to be safe for the machine.  I read that a block of frozen water is too hard for machine to grind through... yet frozen pineapple bits in syrup work fine.  Everybody here working on the dairyless stuff must encounter similar issues.  Has anybody with a refractometer done any measurements and come to any conclusions?  Does the machine have any clutch-like safeguards built in, or is it a recipe for a hard fail/smoking motor if you go past the "too hard" threshold? 

Speculation: I think this is a non issue. I have done mixes with as low as 11% sugar (Per Se's white chocolate snow recipe; a lemon snow test) that had no issues whatsoever. I think you are going to have palatability issues before you throw anything in there unsafe, unless you decided to make shaved ice. I think most of the issues people are having are from inappropriate textures, people are throwing crazy stuff in there on facebook and treating it almost like a blender