• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

34 minutes ago, &roid said:

Update on the chocolate frozen yoghurt - A limited success:

The mix froze down well, nice and even and got down to -22C with 24 hours.

I processed this using the ice cream setting but had to stop it halfway through as the machine started to vibrate quite violently - has anyone had the before? A second go went through fine.

The finished product was pretty good, nice flavour with a good balance between the acid tang of the yoghurt and the rich chocolate/cream.  Texture was a little less good though - it was super, super smooth but was almost gummy in nature.  Not sure if this was due to the stabiliser?

It also melted very quickly - I think this might be due to having to process it twice and being too greedy/impatient to let it set up in the freezer for a while

I've had mine vibrate to the point where I thought it might fall off the table a few times, I just kept going.

Her ice creams are quite dense like that, some like it, some don't. I think she details this further in either the beginning or end of the book (cultural and personal differences in ice cream texture).

If you are processing twice I would definitely let it sit in the freezer for an hour or two; should be fine if just processed once though

I should also note that if you are doing a half recipe you'll probably want to account for increased water loss through evaporation, depending on your pot size. I usually add a bit of water back to her recipes

andrewk512

andrewk512

34 minutes ago, &roid said:

I processed this using the ice cream setting but had to stop it halfway through as the machine started to vibrate quite violently - has anyone had the before? A second go went through fine.

The finished product was pretty good, nice flavour with a good balance between the acid tang of the yoghurt and the rich chocolate/cream.  Texture was a little less good though - it was super, super smooth but was almost gummy in nature.  Not sure if this was due to the stabiliser?

It also melted very quickly - I think this might be due to having to process it twice and being too greedy/impatient to let it set up in the freezer for a while

I've had mine vibrate to the point where I thought it might fall off the table a few times, I just kept going.

Her ice creams are quite dense like that, some like it, some don't. I think she details this further in either the beginning or end of the book (cultural and personal differences in ice cream texture).

If you are processing twice I would definitely let it sit in the freezer for an hour or two; should be fine if just processed once though

I should also note that if you are doing a half recipe you'll probably want to account for increased water loss through evaporation, depending on your pot size

andrewk512

andrewk512

30 minutes ago, &roid said:

andrewk512

andrewk512

28 minutes ago, &roid said:

Her ice creams are quite dense like that, some like it, some don't. I think she details this further in either the beginning or end of the book (cultural and personal differences in ice cream taste).