• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

to correct sale date

3 hours ago, &roid said:

So I’m going to jump into the creami pool too. My birthday is coming up and hopefully soon I’ll be the proud owner of a pacojet lite

any recommendations for a shopping list of the more esoteric stabilisers/enhancers to get in before it arrives? 

I'm a novice, so my 2 cents is worth about that much but here you go....  

First, you don't need any speciality ingredients to get started.  Plenty of normal kitchen ingredients function in those roles in conventional recipes for frozen desserts. 

If you have specific dietary aims (you need to avoid eggs or dairy or make vegan desserts or replace sugar with other sweeteners) you might call out that out here for specific recommendations. 

I recommend reading @paulraphael's excellent articles on stabilizers, emulsifiers and sugars.  

I see you've gotten good advice above by the more experienced @andrewk512.  I agree with his recommendation of Dana Cree's book. Excellent background information and each recipe generally offers the option of using a commercial stabilizer blend, specific gums or pantry ingredients like tapioca starch or cornstarch.  Also agree with his recommendation on ingredients and a little drug scale for weighing.

If decide you want to invest in some of these speciality ingredients, Modernist Pantry has a 17% off sale running through this Monday, 29 Nov and they're a decent one-stop-shop for this kind of stuff, offering reasonable quantities, generally at premium prices.  They also offer their own stabilizer blends for ice cream, gelato and sorbet. 

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, &roid said:

So I’m going to jump into the creami pool too. My birthday is coming up and hopefully soon I’ll be the proud owner of a pacojet lite

any recommendations for a shopping list of the more esoteric stabilisers/enhancers to get in before it arrives? 

I'm a novice, so my 2 cents is worth about that much but here you go....  

First, you don't need any speciality ingredients to get started.  Plenty of normal kitchen ingredients function in those roles in conventional recipes for frozen desserts. 

If you have specific dietary aims (you need to avoid eggs or dairy or make vegan desserts or replace sugar with other sweeteners) you might call out that out here for specific recommendations. 

I recommend reading @paulraphael's excellent articles on stabilizers, emulsifiers and sugars.  

I see you've gotten good advice above by the more experienced @andrewk512.  I agree with his recommendation of Dana Cree's book. Excellent background information and each recipe generally offers the option of using a commercial stabilizer blend, specific gums or pantry ingredients like tapioca starch or cornstarch.  Also agree with his recommendation on ingredients and a little drug scale for weighing.

If decide you want to invest in some of these speciality ingredients, Modernist Pantry has a 17% off sale running through this Monday, 30 Nov and they're a decent one-stop-shop for this kind of stuff, offering reasonable quantities, generally at premium prices.  They also offer their own stabilizer blends for ice cream, gelato and sorbet.