• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

2 hours ago, &roid said:

So I’m going to jump into the creami pool too. My birthday is coming up and hopefully soon I’ll be the proud owner of a pacojet lite

any recommendations for a shopping list of the more esoteric stabilisers/enhancers to get in before it arrives? 

I think any stabilizer blend will do to start off. I use generic forumation cremodan 30 & 64; lots of people on the facebook group use avacream; here I've seen people make custom blends based on online recipes

I think a good cookbook is more important than anything - I like Hello, My Name is Ice Cream

Inulin, ultrasperse, fruit acids, milligram scale, polysorbate, dextrose, fructose, rotor stator homogenizer etc. not at all necessary to make a good product. If I had to start up a supplementary list though I'd get citric/malic acid, glucose syrup, and a milligram scale, this will set you up to use the HMNIIC book (although she provides alternates if you dont have them)

I might have to get myself one of those homogenizers one day though... but I still haven't found a use for it that I can't replicate similar good-enough-for-home results with other techniques

andrewk512

andrewk512

2 hours ago, &roid said:

So I’m going to jump into the creami pool too. My birthday is coming up and hopefully soon I’ll be the proud owner of a pacojet lite

any recommendations for a shopping list of the more esoteric stabilisers/enhancers to get in before it arrives? 

I think any stabilizer blend will do to start off. I use generic forumation cremodan 30 & 64; lots of people on the facebook group use avacream; here I've seen people make custom blends based on online recipes

I think a good cookbook is more important than anything - I like Hello, My Name is Ice Cream

Inulin, ultrasperse, fruit acids, milligram scale, polysorbate, dextrose, fructose, rotor stator homogenizer etc. not at all necessary to make a good product. If I had to start up a supplementary list though I'd get citric/malic acid, glucose syrup, and a milligram scale.

I might have to get myself one of those homogenizers one day though... but I still haven't found a use for it that I can't replicate similar good-enough-for-home results with other techniques

andrewk512

andrewk512

2 hours ago, &roid said:

Inulin, ultrasperse, fruit acids, milligram scale, polysorbate, dextrose, fructose, rotor stator homogenizer etc. not at all necessary to make a good product. If I had to start up a supplementary list though I'd get citric/malic acid, glucose syrup, and a milligram scale.