• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

Finally doing a custard base, so that I can top it with the coffee shoyu butterscotch from the Noma Guide to Fermentation

Vanilla Ice Cream (ratios from Ad Hoc) - 1c whole milk, 1c heavy cream, 1/2 minus 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp vanilla paste, 5 egg yolks.

I threw the ingredients in a sous vide bag and cooked at 185 for 50 minutes then blended and strained. It is freezing up and I'll update how it goes.

Are people curing their bases? I am feeling like I can skip the curing step considering the base is gonna be several hours in the freezer before it remotely begins to change to a solid.

andrewk512

andrewk512

Finally doing a custard base, so that I can top it with the coffee shoyu butterscotch from the Noma Guide to Fermentation

Vanilla Ice Cream (ratios from Ad Hoc) - 1c whole milk, 1c heavy cream, 1/2 minus 1tbsp sugar, 1tsp vanilla paste, 5 egg yolks.

I put in a sous vide bag and cooked at 185 for 50 minutes then blended and strained. It is freezing up and I'll update how it goes.

Are people curing their bases? I am feeling like I can skip the curing step considering the base is gonna be several hours in the freezer before it remotely begins to change to a solid.