• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

mgaretz

mgaretz

Second attempt at sugar-free chocolate.  This time I reduced the amount of stabilizer by half (but it still thickened in the blender) and doubled the amount of glycerin.  It spun very loose, like fresh churned.  After freezing for 5 hours it had firmed up will and was easy to scoop but just a tiny bit icy.  This afternoon I respun it and the texture is greatly improved.  It's back in the freezer and we'll see wat it's like in 6 hours or so.  

The key so far seems to be a respin after refreezing.

Pics, after initial spin and first scoop.

nc-choc-sf-pint.jpg.f8d86e3cf30f8735144ab3b20a9711c4.jpg

nc-choc-sf-scoop.jpg.796da34c5d716a17e395f7ea6db582be.jpg

mgaretz

mgaretz

Second attempt at sugar-free chocolate.  This time I reduced the amount of stabilizer by half (but it still thickened in the blender) and doubled the amount of glycerin.  It spun very loose, like fresh churned.  After freezing for 5 hours it had firmed up will and was easy to scoop but just a tiny bit icy.  This afternoon I respun it and the texture is greatly improved.  It's back in the freezer and we'll see wat it's like in 6 hours or so.  

They key so far seems to be a respin after refreezing.

Pics, after initial spin and first scoop.

nc-choc-sf-pint.jpg.f8d86e3cf30f8735144ab3b20a9711c4.jpg

nc-choc-sf-scoop.jpg.796da34c5d716a17e395f7ea6db582be.jpg