• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

Is this a recipe you've carried over from the churning world, or if you've designed it with the Creami in mind? If the later, wondering about the cremodan. Have you found that the stabilizer makes any difference? I have been removing stabilizers and hydrocolloids I would normally use in ice cream to preserve texture as unnecessary given the way that the machine works. We don't need to worry about the texture as it ages because we can just reprocess it and make the texture perfect again. Or have you noticed a difference in the final product? Thanks.

It's made for a cheap churning machine that's why the freezing point depression is so high. My new recipes I am making to be frozen to -18C before processing

I haven't been able to conduct any direct experiments about stabilizers. You are probably right though for most recipes it is not necessary in this new machine. Since I only have 3 containers I have been removing all my sorbets to other containers though. Also I have now been focusing on some high water content fruit where I think the stabilizers/inulin are more important. For peach you likely do not need it.

57 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have two pints in the freezer, one with mango pulp and one with strawberry ice cream.  The mango went into the freezer late yesterday afternoon and the ice cream around 9 last night.  I checked the temperature and they read 1F which is within the range required.  Given that they are within the targeted temperature range can I spin them now or do I have to wait the full 24 hours?  Is the time factor more important that the temperature?

Temp is most important. The time is a failsafe. In some of the Ninja technical documents they actually say that only 16.5 hours are required in ideal conditions.

andrewk512

andrewk512

1 hour ago, IEATRIO said:

Is this a recipe you've carried over from the churning world, or if you've designed it with the Creami in mind? If the later, wondering about the cremodan. Have you found that the stabilizer makes any difference? I have been removing stabilizers and hydrocolloids I would normally use in ice cream to preserve texture as unnecessary given the way that the machine works. We don't need to worry about the texture as it ages because we can just reprocess it and make the texture perfect again. Or have you noticed a difference in the final product? Thanks.

It's made for a cheap churning machine that's why the freezing point depression is so high. My new recipes I am making to be frozen to -18C.

I haven't been able to conduct any direct experiments about stabilizers. You are probably right though for most recipes it is not necessary in this new machine. Since I only have 3 containers I have been removing all my sorbets to other containers though. Also I have now been focusing on some high water content fruit where I think the stabilizers/inulin are more important. For peach you likely do not need it.

56 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I have two pints in the freezer, one with mango pulp and one with strawberry ice cream.  The mango went into the freezer late yesterday afternoon and the ice cream around 9 last night.  I checked the temperature and they read 1F which is within the range required.  Given that they are within the targeted temperature range can I spin them now or do I have to wait the full 24 hours?  Is the time factor more important that the temperature?

Temp is most important. The time is a failsafe. In some of the Ninja technical documents they actually say that only 16.5 hours are required in ideal conditions.