• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

andrewk512

andrewk512

Re-ran at -26C

20210910_200429.thumb.jpg.062ddbdab93e2a7961507adeb7e23fc1.jpg

Perfect white chocolate snow. Preprocess -26C. Post process -13C. This thing melts incredibly fast. Use the original recipe and you should be able to do it in a very cold home freezer, or deep freezer ideal. Work quickly. This really shows that we can replicate pacojet recipes though.

20210910_201234.thumb.jpg.023202a84f24d6be95896ec860095b74.jpg

This is a -18C serving temp watermelon sorbet I did. Preprocess -26c, postprocess -18c. I've never made it so I have no reference standard. It was a bit more icy than my other products, but watermelon is a hard ingredient to sorbet. At the request of a facebook friend I did it with no stabilizer. 

397g watermelon, 90g dextrose, 30g sugar, citric and malic acid to taste. 1/2 tsp of powdered gelatin (hydrated in the usual fashion)

And finally I re-ran a failed Grapefruit Hops recipe (tried it in liquid nitro last week). I had about 200ml to run. It processed from -26c to -16c. The smaller volumes warm more with processing, unsurprising. It had similar iciness but grapefruit has similar recipe based setbacks to watermelon.

Take aways:

1) Snows are possible

2) I have to return to standard recipes and not recipes with ridiculous freezing depressions

3) As good as it is it still cannot work magic. However, I think by using ingredients with lower freezing depression I will accomplish a smoother texture. The Ninja seems to have a sweet point - too watery and its not strong enough to blend, too solid and it makes snow. I suspect this sweet point will be more optimal at a warmer temp than my very cold processing temps just due to the efficiency of the machine

4) I think my watermelon and grapefruit recipes are not good representative recipes if considering to purchase the machine, they were very experimental, made by fooling around in the Ice Cream Calculator

20210910_201514.jpg

andrewk512

andrewk512

Re-ran at -26C

20210910_200429.thumb.jpg.062ddbdab93e2a7961507adeb7e23fc1.jpg

Perfect white chocolate snow. Preprocess -26C. Post process -13C. This thing melts incredibly fast. Use the original recipe and you should be able to do it in a very cold home freezer, or deep freezer ideal. Work quickly. This really shows that we can replicate pacojet recipes though.

20210910_201234.thumb.jpg.023202a84f24d6be95896ec860095b74.jpg

This is a -18C serving temp watermelon sorbet I did. Preprocess -26c, postprocess -18c. I've never made it so I have no reference standard. It was a bit more icy than my other products, but watermelon is a hard ingredient to sorbet. At the request of a facebook friend I did it with no stabilizer. 

397g watermelon, 90g dextrose, 30g sugar, citric and malic acid to taste. 1/2 tsp of powdered gelatin (hydrated in the usual fashion)

And finally I re-ran a failed Grapefruit Hops recipe (tried it in liquid nitro last week). I had about 200ml to run. It processed from -26c to -16c. The smaller volumes warm more with processing, unsurprising. It had similar iciness but grapefruit has similar recipe based setbacks to watermelon.

Take aways:

1) Snows are possible

2) I have to return to standard recipes and not recipes with ridiculous freezing depressions

3) As good as it is it still cannot work magic. However, I think by using ingredients with lower freezing depression I will accomplish a smoother texture. The Ninja seems to have a sweet point - too watery and its not strong enough to blend, too solid and it makes snow. I suspect this sweet point will be more optimal at a warmer temp than my very cold processing temps just due to the efficiency of the machine

20210910_201514.jpg