• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Anna N

Anna N

59 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I checked the recipe book and it doesn't appear cream cheese is a requirement.

I had watched a YouTube video and the presenter claimed to be using recipes from the book and it called for cream cheese. I am happy to know that that’s an error.

I don’t know how a oaco jet works but watching the video it just seemed to be a blender blade that bored into the frozen mixture, blended it for a while and then was slowly withdrawn upwards out of the mixture. I was reminded of the way we make mayonnaise with the stick blender. 

I think of ice cream as frequently beginning with a custard but since there does not appear to be any cooking involved then the use of eggs is probably inappropriate. 

We will all be watching closely as you check out your new unit once it arrives.  
Edited to add

I just watched a video showing how the Pacojet works and it seems very similar. 

Anna N

Anna N

57 minutes ago, mgaretz said:

I had watched a YouTube video and the presenter claimed to be using recipes from the book and it called for cream cheese. I am happy to know that that’s an error.

I don’t know how a oaco jet works but watching the video it just seemed to be a blender blade that bored into the frozen mixture, blended it for a while and then was slowly withdrawn upwards out of the mixture. I was reminded of the way we make mayonnaise with the stick blender. 

I think of ice cream as frequently beginning with a custard but since there does not appear to be any cooking involved then the use of eggs is probably inappropriate. 

Edited to add

I just watched a video showing how the Pako chequebooks and it seems very similar. Edited to add

I just watched a video showing how the Pacojet works and it seems very similar. 

Anna N

Anna N

45 minutes ago, mgaretz said: