• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The greatness of empty yogurt containers

Fat Guy

One of the grim realities of my life in Russia oh so many years ago was washing plastic bags for later reuse :angry: : Was the main reason to leave the country...

Helena, I still wash out my plastic bags (and I've never been to Russia).

BTW: may I expand this thread to other containers as well? The small plastic cups from dried mushrooms; plastic quarts from sherbet; the wonderful containers that Athenos feta comes in (terrible feta, but worth it just for the container) -- if it makes it through a dishwasher cycle, it's in use until it falls out of the freezer and smashes. :biggrin:

Could hide small valuables in them, I suppose, when out of town. Jewellry and such.
Watch out, though, Maggie. I remember a TV show years ago in which the cash taken in a robbery was stashed with frozen spinach -- and someone then made cream-of-spinach soup. And don't forget the original "Ocean's 11" -- "The deceased is being cremated."

Could hide small valuables in them, I suppose, when out of town. Jewellry and such.
Watch out, though, Maggie. I remember a TV show years ago in which the cash taken in a robbery was stashed with frozen spinach -- and someone then made cream-of-spinach soup. And don't forget the original "Ocean's 11" -- "The deceased is being cremated."

Which brings us to Alfred Hitchcock, and the story where the new widow served the investigators the murder weapon for dinner.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled yogurt cups.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

They are so versatile. Just today I saw recommended in Cook's Illustrated that you can use the lid as an underliner for your peppermill.

This is no longer possible with Stoneyfield since the company has now replaced the plastic lid with a tear-off type. "We've blown our cover!" the explanation on the lid states. "Nothing has changed about what we put into our yogurt. What has changed is what we don't put into our landfills...about 270 tons of plastic annually by switching to these new lids."

Which brings us to Alfred Hitchcock, and the story where the new widow served the investigators the murder weapon for dinner.

Did Hitchcock do a version of that? I thought the story was originally Roald Dahl's... "Lamb to the Slaughter"? Something like that.

It wasn't until years after I first read that story that I began to wonder if the murderess had stuffed the leg of lamb in the oven still frozen. I think, from the timeline Dahl gave, she must have.

And I suppose you'd need to serve lots of mint jelly to cover up any last traces of husband-noggin.

I... I think too much about these things, don't I? :unsure:

*ahem* Yes. Yogurt cups. Love 'em.

What was I saying?

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

• 3 months later...

I posted the following once before, and was sort of 'admonished'.

Does not matter , I say it again:

Cereal Box liners, are made of a parchment type, not waxed but coated material, which will not get SOAKED.

BTW, the seam of these bags tear very evenly and you will wind up with great sheets.

This 'paper' makes a great separator of food items you want to stack and freeze. After freezing, a 'tap' or insertion of a knifepoint between layers will spring them apart.

Also, pounding meat beteen the 'sheets' is better than waxpaper or other.

Peter

Then there's that ingenious, OK maybe ingenious is too strong, but still, two-sided affair that Total Greek yogurt with the honey sidecar comes in.

Big crescent of fantastically amazing whole-milk yogurt with NO additives, and a little pointy ovoid of really really really good honey. Peelaway foil lid, no keepy. Right into the old recycling bag. But nice, In the Yogurt Moment.

Edited by Priscilla (log)

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I posted the following once before, and was sort of 'admonished'.

Does not matter , I say it again:

Cereal Box liners, are made of a parchment type, not waxed but coated material, which will not get SOAKED.

BTW, the seam of these bags tear very evenly and you will wind up with great sheets.

This 'paper' makes a great separator of food items you want to stack and freeze. After freezing, a 'tap' or insertion of a knifepoint between layers will spring them apart.

Also, pounding meat beteen the 'sheets' is better than waxpaper or other.

This is a great tip... never heard it before....

Thanx! :smile:

I have walked past a certain ground-floor apartment on Capitol Hill in Seattle, where there is no window blind and you can see into the kitchen. The tenant keeps stacks and stacks of yogurt containers on the kitchen counter, and they've been there for YEARS.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Did Hitchcock do a version of that? I thought the story was originally Roald Dahl's... "Lamb to the Slaughter"? Something like that.

It wasn't until years after I first read that story that I began to wonder if the murderess had stuffed the leg of lamb in the oven still frozen. I think, from the timeline Dahl gave, she must have.

And I suppose you'd need to serve lots of mint jelly to cover up any last traces of husband-noggin.

I... I think too much about these things, don't I? :unsure:

*ahem* Yes. Yogurt cups. Love 'em.

What was I saying?

Yep, Hitchcock did indeed do one of his beautiful riffs on Dahl's short story, "Lamb to the Slaughter." Pass the mint jelly, please . . .

The itty-bitty sized Nancy's yogurt container (6 oz.) is perfect for wetting my oboe reed.

Japanese yogurt containers suck big time!

The little ones are tiny (I can eat it in 4 bites) and have no lid, while the big ones (500grams) are made out this flimsy cardboard stuff with plastic lids that don't fit on them after you remove the saftey seal! :huh:

They are good for nothing!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"