• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well, no.

Its a matter of scale and reach.  Nobody read the arcane squabbles of obscure Brits except a privileged few obscure Brits. I'd wager more people read about them today than at the time. 

I admit I'm entertained by the idea of an effete poet needing to pack heat. Dirty Popey..."Do you feel lucky, poet?"

Chaucer, Shakespeare and Pope were very popular in their lifetimes and were far from obscure. And not only with 'a few obscure Brit's', either. King Lear was performed in Europe and Africa in Shakespeare's lifetime. People didn't 'read' Shakespeare, though. They paid hard cash to 'see' the plays. 

I'd say more people read the others then. When was the last time you read Pope or Chaucer?

Glad to see you couldnt resist responding, though. What was it you were saying about noise?

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well, no.

Its a matter of scale and reach.  Nobody read the arcane squabbles of obscure Brits except a privileged few obscure Brits. I'd wager more people read about them today than at the time. 

I admit I'm entertained by the idea of an effete poet needing to pack heat. Dirty Popey..."Do you feel lucky, poet?"

Chaucer, Shakespeare and Pope were very popular in their lifetimes and were far from obscure. And not only with 'a few obscure Brit's', either. King Lear was performed in Africa in Shakespeare's lifetime. People didn't 'read' Shakespeare, though. They paid hard cash to 'see' the plays. 

I'd say more people read them then. When was the last time you read Pope or Chaucer?

Glad to see you couldnt resist responding, though. What was it you were saying about noise?

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well, no.

Chaucer, Shakespeare and Pope were very popular in their lifetimes and were far from obscure. And not only with 'a few obscure Brit's', either. King Lear was performed in Africa in Shakespeare's lifetime. People didn't 'read' Shakespeare, though. They paid hard cash to 'see' the plays. 

I'd say more people read them then. When was the last?time you read Pope or Chaucer?

liuzhou

liuzhou

2 hours ago, gfweb said:

Well, no.