• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roasting On My Pazaar Közmatik

weinoo

A Közmatik (Pazaar is evidently the brand) is allegedly a Turkish cooking utensil, used over a gas or wood flame and roasting things on it. Eggplant, peppers, zucchini - you get the picture...

IMG_4713.thumb.jpeg.13222c286bb51a343f1a974f12e7e00b.jpeg

Me, being an idiot, probably should have removed the grates and placed it directly onto the gas flame, but I didn't. And it might be upside down - I've seen pictures of them being used in either position.

In any event, it worked really well, and there's basically zero cleanup, which was always a pain in the ass for me, when roasting veg directly on the grates or the flame. Obviously, I have no outside roasting potential.

IMG_4716.thumb.jpeg.f336648f270244d3dbf744527d2ffdf4.jpeg

Roasted peppers, with red wine vinegar, olive oil, lemon, garlic, salt, pepper. Herbs to be added at end maybe.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 7

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

That looks like a great tool! I use an induction range so can't make use of something like it. It reminds me a bit of a tool sold by Santa Fe School of Cooking (and probably other versions are out there). But the SF School one is mesh and may still allow for some bits to fall through, though I gifted one to a relative who seemed to enjoy using it. Yours looks like it would not let much of anything fall through. 

Your final dish looks very tasty! 

• Like 1

Like @FauxPasI have induction but my curiosity is such that I must ask about smoke. I know you live in an apartment so I am guessing you must have some powerful range hood.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Like @FauxPasI have induction but my curiosity is such that I must ask about smoke. I know you live in an apartment so I am guessing you must have some powerful range hood.

Not too bad on the smoke - I do have a pretty powerful hood, albeit it's a recirculating hood, that filters through various semi-permanent layers, ending up going through a big charcoal filter (that one gets replaced about every 6 months).

12 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I looked it up and it only works on gas stoves and bbq's.

Yes. Not electric nor induction.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Just now, weinoo said:

Not too bad on the smoke

Thanks. i’m guessing without access to an outdoor grill a little smokiness occasionally is acceptable. 

I had no illusions whatsoever that it would work on induction!  

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

11 hours ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. i’m guessing without access to an outdoor grill a little smokiness occasionally is acceptable. 

Absolutely - after all, I do smoke other things in our apartment. 

Oh, I mean, like salmon in the gin donabe 😉

And if the weather is right (i.e. the wind), we're in a high-floor corner apartment and the cross-ventilation is insane at times. We get what's called the Corlear's Hook breeze - which I just made up. But we are quite close to Corlear's Hook, and the buildings here certainly provide for some interesting wind patterns at times.

image.png.f750e010a57591e7b83ee19e39d288ed.png

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

30 minutes ago, weinoo said:

And if the weather is right (i.e. the wind), we're in a high-floor corner apartment and the cross-ventilation is insane at times.

Looks like you chose your apartment wisely!  

• Haha 1

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, Anna N said:

Looks like you chose your apartment wisely!  

We did - but the neighborhood was way more mellow when we moved down here 18 years ago. Of course, that was after it wasn't so mellow!

Speaking of Corlear's Hook, it's where the term hooker originated!

https://infamousnewyork.com/2019/07/12/corlears-hook-birthplace-of-the-hooker/

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

4 hours ago, weinoo said:

Speaking of Corlear's Hook, it's where the term hooker originated!

Quite the storied neighbourhood. And it’s still within reach of many eat-in or take-out food options I take it from your many and varied postings in the dinner thread. 

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, Anna N said:

Quite the storied neighbourhood. And it’s still within reach of many eat-in or take-out food options I take it from your many and varied postings in the dinner thread. 

Oh yeah, the hookers moved on.  When I was driving a cab in the mid-70s, it was pretty much Times Square area before it became Disney-fied, and the meat-packing district before it became gentrified.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog