• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Parts for ancient Presto pressure canner

MaryIsobel

My inherited Presto pressure canner is at least 60 years old and badly in need of a new sealing ring and also the little rubber ring (technically speaking) that goes around the pressure reslease valve. I have tried searching by model number and gasket size (13") I'm not having any luck. It is cast aluminum and solid as the day it was manufactured, so getting rid of it due to the need of a couple of parts seems ridiculous. Any ideas? Granted, I am not the best internet searcher...

8 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

My inherited Presto pressure canner is at least 60 years old and badly in need of a new sealing ring and also the little rubber ring (technically speaking) that goes around the pressure reslease valve. I have tried searching by model number and gasket size (13") I'm not having any luck. It is cast aluminum and solid as the day it was manufactured, so getting rid of it due to the need of a couple of parts seems ridiculous. Any ideas? Granted, I am not the best internet searcher...

Does it have any numbers stamped into it anywhere? Can you post a picture of it?

33 minutes ago, Cyberider said:

Thank you so much! I don't know why I couldn't find that myself. You've helped me to save and continue to use what must surely qualify as a family heirloom! 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DesertTinker said:

You also need to replace the pressure gauge. I see broken glass and rust. It’s a major safety issue.

I wondered about that and now that we have a source, that will be easily done. Thanks so much - you are a wealth of information.

• Like 1

You can also ask Presto themselves (click).

My mom had a Presto pressure cooker she received as a wedding present over 60 years ago. She needed a new rubber seal and contacted Presto. She said she was amazed they had the seals in stock. It's worth asking...

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

4 hours ago, MaryIsobel said:

From the label in the picture there is what looks like a zipcode.  Zipcodes weren't invented till 1963.  It is unlikely the Presto is as much as 60 years old, although it may be getting close.

I wish I could find parts for my old Cuisinart pressure cooker.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

From the label in the picture there is what looks like a zipcode.  Zipcodes weren't invented till 1963.  It is unlikely the Presto is as much as 60 years old, although it may be getting close.

I wish I could find parts for my old Cuisinart pressure cooker.

Excellent! I was sure Harvest Gold wasn’t “The Big Six-O” quite yet.🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The exact year is definitely questionable. I was born in 1960 and it has been around as long as I can remember, but possibly not 60 years. But thanks to the helpful advice here, it will be around for a while yet.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

The exact year is definitely questionable. I was born in 1960 and it has been around as long as I can remember, but possibly not 60 years. But thanks to the helpful advice here, it will be around for a while yet.

I’m vintage 1962 but grew up with appliances and cookware from the 1950’s and earlier, so I understand the confusion as to what came from when.