• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 肉豆蔻 (ròu dòu kòu) – Nutmeg – Myristica fragrans

nutmeg.thumb.jpg.18ed6f6deb9ca83ed4db8458763e0609.jpg

When I'm 64 - 250 g

Having yesterday posted the chilli info above, I think that concludes the main herbs and spices used in a culinary context China-wide. However, there are many others which are more localised and limited.

Before I moved to Guangxi from Hunan in February 1999, I researched the place a bit. I had visited before but wanted to delve a bit deeper. One thing I learned was that although nutmeg is native to Indonesia, Guangxi is central to a belt of nutmeg production in south China which also includes Guangdong to our east and Yunnan to our west. “Oh good”, methought, “I like a bit of nutmeg from time to time.”

Once I had settled in, I set off to what was then the only supermarket in town. No nutmeg there. (Still isn’t, for that matter.) “No worries! I’ll go to a proper market.” Nope. No nutmeg.

I was mystified. I asked a colleague why the supermarket and market didn’t have any. She looked at me as if I had just asked for information on sourcing polar bear droppings, then changed the subject. I often caught her giving me strange sideways looks after that.

Eventually the penny dropped. It turned out that nutmeg is only really used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and one of its uses is in the treatment of certain sexually transmitted diseases. (Note: there is no scientific evidence for nutmeg being beneficial for STD sufferers or any other ailments).

Now understanding my colleague’s reaction, but undaunted, I headed off to the local TCM pharmacy, hung around until a male assistant was available, winked at him, made my request and left with a bag of pristine nutmegs. I have since found online sources, so I don’t have to go through the humiliation any more!

My only problem now is that I can only buy them in 250 g bags. That is about 64 of the things. I don't use it that much.

I have also discovered that nutmegs are used in a very few sweet dishes and meat stews by a very few people who show no discerbable symptoms of lewd behaviour. It also appears as an ingredient in some industrially produced soft drinks.

1101290660_nutmegandgrater.thumb.jpg.765e87219cc898607a8a75d308d32083.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

19 肉豆蔻 (ròu dòu kòu) – Nutmeg – Myristica fragrans

When I'm 64 - 250 g

Having yesterday posted the chilli info above, I think that concludes the main herbs and spices used in a culinary context China-wide. However, there are many others which are more localised and limited.

Before I moved to Guangxi from Hunan in February 1999, I researched the place a bit. I had visited before but wanted to delve a bit deeper. One thing I learned was that although nutmeg is native to Indonesia, Guangxi is central to a belt of nutmeg production in south China which also includes Guangdong to our east and Yunnan to our west. “Oh good”, methought, “I like a bit of nutmeg from time to time.”

Once I had settled in, I set off to what was then the only supermarket in town. No nutmeg there. (Still isn’t, for that matter.) “No worries! I’ll go to a proper market.” Nope. No nutmeg.

I was mystified. I asked a colleague why the supermarket and mark didn’t have any. She looked at me as if I had just asked for information on sourcing polar bear droppings, then changed the subject. I often caught her giving strange sideways looks after that.

Eventually the penny dropped. It turned out that nutmeg is only really used in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) and one of its uses is in the treatment of certain sexually transmitted diseases. (Note: there is no scientific evidence for nutmeg being beneficial for STD sufferers or any other ailments).

Now understanding my colleague’s reaction, but undaunted, I headed off to the local TCM pharmacy, hung around until a male assistant was available, winked at him, made my request and left with a bag of pristine nutmegs. I have since found online sources, so I don’t have to go through the humiliation any more!

My only problem now is that I can only buty them in 250 g bags. That is about 64 of the things. I don't use it that much.

I have also discovered that nutmegs are used in a very few sweet dishes and meat stews by a very few people who show no discerbable symptoms of lewd behaviour. It also appears as an ingredient in some industrially produced soft drinks.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18. 肉豆蔻 (ròu dòu kòu) – Nutmeg – Myristica fragrans

When I'm 64 - 250 g

I was mystified. I asked a colleague why the supermarket and mark didn’t have any. She looked at me as if I had just asked for information on sourcing polar bear droppings, then changed the subject. I often caught her giving strange sideways looks after that.

My only problem now is that I can only buty them in 250 g bags. That is about 64 of the things. I don't use it that much.

liuzhou

liuzhou

18. 肉豆蔻(ròu dòu kòu) – Nutmeg – Myristica fragrans

When I'm 64 - 250 g

liuzhou

liuzhou

18. 肉豆寇 (ròu dòu kòu) – Nutmeg – Myristica fragrans

When I'm 64 - 250 g