• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

7. 孜然 (zī rán) – Cumin – Cuminum cyminum

562142194_cuminseeds.thumb.jpg.b84f98c512362584cd805c3d00047b0f.jpg

These, the seeds of a herbaceous plant, are probably China’s most used spice. Apart from being a key ingredient of some five-spice powders, it is used in a variety of other ways.

Perhaps most famous are the lamb (and other meat) kebabs (羊肉串 - yáng ròu chuàn) from China’s far west. These are available, grilled over charcoal burners, in roadside night markets in almost every city. Small pieces of fatty lamb (or mutton) are threaded on to sticks and grilled. As they cook, the vendor lavishly sprinkles them with cumin and chilli.

IMG_4956.thumb.jpg.c59eaba3860fac4f252ccb35737ff376.jpg

Another well known dish, available all over, is Hunan Cumin Beef (孜然牛肉 – zī rán niú ròu). This, I often make at home. It’s a simple dish of fried beef with cumin and copious amounts of green and red chillis. Not one for the chilli wimps.

1959566219_HunanCuminBeef.thumb.jpg.88dc405c6f568c96235a37fc5d5b9951.jpg

Cumin is sold here both as whole seeds and pre-ground. As always, I recommend buying the whole seeds, lightly roasting them in a dry wok immediately before using and grinding them yourself, either with a mortar and pestle, as I do, or in an electric grinder. The pre-ground stuff, if not already stale by the time you buy it, will lose its flavour very rapidly.

liuzhou

liuzhou

7. 孜然 (zī rán) – Cumin – Cuminum cyminum

562142194_cuminseeds.thumb.jpg.b84f98c512362584cd805c3d00047b0f.jpg

These, the seeds of a herbaceous plant, are probably China’s most used spice. Apart from being a key ingredient of five-spice powders, it is used in a variety of other ways.

Perhaps most famous are the lamb (and other meat) kebabs (羊肉串 - yáng ròu chuàn) from China’s far west. These are available, grilled over charcoal burners, in roadside night markets in almost every city. Small pieces of fatty lamb (or mutton) are threaded on to sticks and grilled. As they cook, the vendor lavishly sprinkles them with cumin and chilli.

IMG_4956.thumb.jpg.c59eaba3860fac4f252ccb35737ff376.jpg

Another well known dish, available all over, is Hunan Cumin Beef (孜然牛肉 – zī rán niú ròu). This, I often make at home. It’s a simple dish of fried beef with cumin and copious amounts of green and red chillis. Not one for the chilli wimps.

1959566219_HunanCuminBeef.thumb.jpg.88dc405c6f568c96235a37fc5d5b9951.jpg

Cumin is sold here both as whole seeds and pre-ground. As always, I recommend buying the whole seeds, lightly roasting them in a dry wok immediately before using and grinding them yourself, either with a mortar and pestle, as I do, or in an electric grinder. The pre-ground stuff, if not already stale by the time you buy it, will lose its flavour very rapidly.