• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boiron vs Ponthier purées?

wannabechocolatier

La Fruitiere purees are similarly liquid and should be interchangeable for those brands. 

Perfect Puree can be thicker and/or more concentrated - for example their passion fruit concentrate is much more intense.  They're more local to you but I've heard they are having either production or distribution issues so may not actually be easier to find :/

• Like 1

I've used both Ponthier and Boiron for PdF (boiron is great here, mostly because of their recipes ;) and for making curd (no difference in the passionfruit from one brand to the other) and flavoring buttercream.   I will say that the Ponthier coconut is seriously the best coconut I've ever had, and what sold me on the brand.  Their blueberry is quite good too. It's easier for me to get Ponthier than for Boiron so I use that now.

• Like 1

I mainly use Ponthier because it is the only one easily available where I am, and find they are pretty good. I have also used Capfruit and Ravifruit which are ok too. For things like guava, tuno indio (cactus fruit) and banana I make my own.... banana because it is easy and we have loads of bananas in the Canary Islands, and Guava and Tuno Indio because I can't buy it. The Tuno Indio is a pain in the posterior though 🙄