• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cerveza, Cargols i Covid - a summer in Catalonia

Duvel

10 minutes ago, KennethT said:

What type of power outlet do you have there?  Is it Swiss?  I always thought Spain's outlets were similar to those in Germany...

Exactly the same as in Germany. Why there is a third hole in the middle I can’t tell you …

• Thanks 1

That all looks delicious especially that salad.

I think I could get used to this lifestyle.....will you go home and have a nap and then dinner will be around midnight?

The pool looks heavenly.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I think I could get used to this lifestyle.....will you go home and have a nap and then dinner will be around midnight?

In this case, there was a 40 min drive involved (plus a looooot of catching up), so no nap in this instance. But usually yes. After lunch plus wine 😊

Dinner is around 22.00h, with kids a bit earlier. For me this lifestyle is fine during vacation, but to work with this schedule (there is a 3-4h break during siesta) would not be agreeable …

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, heidih said:

What form was the chocolate in when added?

Grated very finely. According to aunt Merce you can use unsweetened cocoa, but it won’t be exactly the same …

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, KennethT said:

I also like the Vichy Catalan... probably my favorite sparkling water!

I think it is very good for long dinners in warm climate - heavily carbonated and salty

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Whoa!

So I googled that monkfish with clams dish because I'd never heard of that kind of preparation and found three or four recipe pages in Catalan, including this elaborate version that starts with making a fish stock that eventually morphs into a sauce (containing almond milk and honey!) in which monkfish and gambas are added. Served with fried potatos and clams poached in white wine. Not the same as Duvel's fascinating plate but this is the opening for a serious experiment ahead!

https://catalunyacuina.com/peix/rap-rostit-moixernons-mel

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

1 hour ago, KennethT said:

I also like the Vichy Catalan... probably my favorite sparkling water!

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

I think it is very good for long dinners in warm climate - heavily carbonated and salty

Hmmm - I find the stuff virtually undrinkable due to its saltiness.

I have a couple of Catalan cookbooks, and really enjoy making that salt-cod salad, Esqueixada...

IMG_4704.thumb.jpeg.4004007cb73c654b24793e0924732a4d.jpeg

• Like 5

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Not having a siesta leaves of course more time for other things. When we came home, I enjoyed a tiny G&T …

D5456B8E-9EE4-4D68-9F73-78E49240809C.thumb.jpeg.9774aef0494e2d5d295fe90b591122a8.jpeg

791E5846-1233-406B-963D-39CB3FAFFF57.thumb.jpeg.33509795a5d1c92ab9fce775ea956da0.jpeg

… before preparing for Pizza* & Movie night (after all, it’s a tradition). From my previous visit to the supermarket it seemed that the sweet ham & olives combo is the most popular one here, so that’s what I made. It wasn’t a bad choice …

68E1DF77-0469-4614-88C5-DCAFDCEF518A.thumb.jpeg.492db24335b9ea515cef2b9ebc964e55.jpeg

Enjoyed while watching “Hook”.

*unfortunately - as @blue_dolphin has pointed out - without the Ooni …

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Good morning from our terrace !

A1D4C966-1843-4686-BF27-452ED0C6E98C.thumb.jpeg.d82f8d8c21cd015326416a3f9c6ddc1a.jpeg

This morning a slightly heartier breakfast, because we’ll need some energy for an outing to see some prehistoric artifacts and have to stretch our stomachs a bit for a lovely (late) lunch …

DF38D376-512D-4DED-9FB1-01E50ED05C66.thumb.jpeg.5584da626e60919ba4f5dce8198f3689.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

What is that Bombay gin like , 

compared to Blue Sapphire ?

Im not a big gin drinker

but I have BBS.

here there is a BBS-East :

12217788661790.thumb.png.41b0f73e6c801fd9057b907347611203.png

its a bit more ' floral '  but Im no expert.

your version hasn't made it here ( yet ? )

or maybe its just a different bottle !

P.S.:  on to[p of your G&T is this :

sssss.jpg.49b635a7860cfa3af05ea20e628fd342.jpg

is that a lemon ?  a cocoon ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

Re the price of percebes. Surely, a mistake has been made. Crazy good price. I'd buy everything and ask if they have more in the back room somewhere and buy that as well.

The numero uno thing I like from the sea and look at the price I paid in Portugal!!! That's 1 kilo portion meals in the photos. Only need beer or wine to go with perceves. The cheapest was in Porto, 20 euros/kg. Only 10 euros a kilo if you buy it from a collector at the beach.

xD9VBRr.jpg

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

Re the price of percebes. Surely, a mistake has been made. Crazy good price. I'd buy everything and ask if they have more in the back room somewhere and buy that as well.

The numero uno thing I like from the sea and look at the price I paid in Portugal!!! That's 1 kilo portion meals in the photos. Only need beer or wine to go with perceves. The cheapest was in Porto, 20 euros/kg. Only 10 euros a kilo if you buy it from a collector at the beach.

xD9VBRr.jpg

I saw that and thought the same thing.  For that price, I would have bought them all on the spot!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

its a bit more ' floral '  but Im no expert.

your version hasn't made it here ( yet ? )

or maybe its just a different bottle !

I am not an expert either and have to confess that most of the differences I perceive usually come from the tonic water …

An (semi-)unbiased thought of the sunset edition can be found here

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Ok, ok, …

I’ll buy some and report back 😉

Tough job, but someone has to do it!

It would be interesting to find out where they're from; the crazy expensive ones I've eaten have all been from Galicia, hand harvested by maidens...I'm not making that up!!

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Dolmen !

Who doesn’t like these ancient structures, strategically placed by our forebears in areas that would otherwise not attract any visitors at all? My wife started with “I lived here half of my life and have never visited that thing” and this should have given me sufficient & fair warning, but hey - vacation time 😉

The first one was “accessible” by car. If you drive a 4WD and do not care about the resell value. Needless to say, my adrenaline was already gone n edge even before I saw the magnificent structure erected by some very ancient Catalans and meticulously ramped up with instant concrete by some more recent ones. 

182C95C4-E3B8-4F92-9520-BF33065E561A.thumb.jpeg.e933d667adc7e6ec6a4cf648e200f2a3.jpeg

At least it came with a IKEA-type installation guide …

EC4879AA-2BB3-4458-A369-28A8F2465E79.thumb.jpeg.b678c58a9ea9db00fb264f5c7dd370cb.jpeg

The second one was more tricky to find. It was “a short way” (~20 min stroll) away from some ancient monastery (that was conveniently closed for visitors on Tuesdays). 

79773973-CE8F-4B3B-A7D5-66D974ED75C0.thumb.jpeg.1d658ff064efd56a6044976b354c270a.jpeg

We followed the signs and met a party of three returning from their attempt to find it. When the signs finished we met another party of two, returning from their (unfinished) quest. Relying on Google Maps (until there was no more cell phone reception) we met a third party that assured us that the dolmen is just some 30 min away (although they didn’t reach there, either). Now, quitters never prosper and ignoring the information from my trusted Garmin that we had decended already over 300 height meters we pushed on. Finally - after 1h and something - we reached the overwhelmingly magnificent (and strangely tiny) dolmen, high-fived each other and headed straight back up the mountain again. 

7D5070A2-D32F-4C88-A882-71579AD10CF2.thumb.jpeg.c008c718f49c67d7bf24dadaeffbbc1a.jpeg

We all agreed that the excessive calorie expenditure warranted some nice lunch (even though that was planned before) and I drove back about 1h through an area that would probably void my leasing contract instantly …

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4