• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cerveza, Cargols i Covid - a summer in Catalonia

Duvel

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

After the surprisingly filling lunch, the small amount of walking around and briefly visiting the beach was not enough to work up an appetite. That, coupled with a rapidly increasing feeling of laziness (as mind & body are getting into holiday mood) led to a simple, yet tasty dinner.

Fresh bread (w/ tomato, salt & olive oil), topped with goat cheese, thinly sliced head cheese and bull blanc. Accompanied by a beer from Barcelona and shortly after enjoyed on the terrace in a cooling breeze …

Looks like you have an nicely appointed house to vaca in! How far from the beach is it?

9 hours ago, Anna N said:

Yes! Thank you. 

Wow - it was ten years ago!  

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Wow - it was ten years ago!  

Wonderful post although I do not think that is where I first learned of this place. But I was delighted to read of yet another open-faced sandwich:

“Ask for montaditos (mounted bread) and you're liable to end up with these...”

• Haha 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, weinoo said:

Looks like you have an nicely appointed house to vaca in! How far from the beach is it?

About 900m. This town is in between some of the major tourist spots on the Catalan coastline, just south of the Costa Brava. It has (at least to me) the same nice beach, but completely uncrowded. 
I am not very much into beach & sea, but the little one goes absolutely bananas here (as does my wife, so another proof of genetics at work) …

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

OH how did I miss this until today!  I'm so excited for this.  Thank you so much for taking us!!!  Between Covid and other world events this is MUCH welcomed :) 

I've never heard of red wine mixed with lemonade.  I'm off to google.

And that bread is making me want to get my mill out and make a loaf....with tomatoes....I'm drooling.

The head cheese from above looks delicious.

Can't wait for more!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@Duvel 

fantastic job

throughly enjoying the pics.

Kudos your way.

what do people do w a ' sliced head ? '

I’d say head cheese or soup, but I’ll ask next time to be certain …

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I've never heard of red wine mixed with lemonade.  I'm off to google.

It is maybe the lesser known cousin of Kalimotxo, which is equally popular here, but huge in the Basque country. Definitely a suitable drink for temperatures above 30 oC …

• Thanks 1

A light breakfast, as we will visit one of my wife’s aunts later for “lunch”.

Canya de crema (puff pastry, filled with crema catalana) for my wife, ensaïmada for the little one and a spinach-stuffed pastry for me (there was a two for one deal obviously - couldn’t quite get her as she spoke Spanish) …

C773EA10-86E3-404B-AEE0-65A3900A3184.thumb.jpeg.d697d8492b17c0ce2171bb9403562f0c.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

""  red wine mixed with lemonade ''

N.B. :

the wine picked for the mix , was improved 

by adding lemonade .

the lemonade was not given a choice.

my 2 pesetas 

they probably do not have pesetas any more.

love the markets 

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, rotuts said:

they wine picked for the mix , was improved 

by adding lemonade .

the lemonade was not given a choice.

That sounds pretty much apt as far as the origin of this drink is concerned. But I have to say it is tasty and very refreshing.

A few years ago I was touring the Basque country, and after some bar hopping in San Sebastián I noticed that quite some bars there have Kalimotxo ready made coming from a dispenser, just as soft drinks do, due to its popularity there …

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Duvel said:

That sounds pretty much apt as far as the origin of this drink is concerned. But I have to say it is tasty and very refreshing.

A few years ago I was touring the Basque country, and after some bar hopping in San Sebastián I noticed that quite some bars there have Kalimotxo ready made coming from a dispenser, just as soft drinks do, due to its popularity there …

It, along with the canned food, leaves me shaking my head. We hold some cuisines in such high regard only to discover that they serve food from cans and mix wine with cola. And more, can elevate such things. I am speaking with admiration not derision!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Outstanding pictures, Master Duvel! Seeing what's popular there is most intriguing. Thank you. My family had a little spread in Portugal for 20 years so much of these are familiar. Saudades...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

6 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

@Duvel, did you pack the Ooni?

There were more than one heated argument about that. In the interest of a happy marriage and because my wife is very persuasive (“think how much stuff you can bring back to Germany if that thing is not in the trunk”), it stayed in Germany. 

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

Not too much different in its effect that a Radler, wouldn't you say?

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

27 minutes ago, rotuts said:

why cook

when you can go out

possibly on foot

and bring so many tasty things home

and perhaps safely visit selected

local restaurants 

eating outside.

That’s certainly true, but of course there will be a bit of cooking in the holidays … here is a view on “my” cupboard & “my” nightstand*/** 😉

E9629DEF-FBB0-4EA8-9686-0AD491FB14C4.thumb.jpeg.8ff0659c9b27f9d18d44f79b368610ff.jpeg

B99F5ED1-CDED-4210-BF42-62D0D66E18BA.thumb.jpeg.dc0107bc48e96dc0247fa6f53726b438.jpeg

* sorry for the watch - I know there was a (short-term) member that liked to leave his Rolex in his pictures. I can assure you this is a cheap Garmin and not meant to be a hidden product placement 
😉

** a big thanks to @JoNorvelleWalker for suggesting this year’s holiday read - it is a great book !

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 6

On 8/15/2021 at 4:04 AM, Duvel said:

Little one was so enticed by the smell of the warm catalana (a rustic local baguette variety, that has a bit of whole wheat mixed in), that he had to sample on the spot).

AA3C0E8B-5B33-4866-81A6-C44A73BCD6AC.thumb.jpeg.a3ac361339f679da89084d725c68dd7e.jpeg

Just think what a fantastic food writer he could be in the future should he choose to go that route.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Duvel said:

That’s certainly true, but of course there will be a bit of cooking in the holidays … here is a view on “my” cupboard & “my” nightstand*/** 😉

E9629DEF-FBB0-4EA8-9686-0AD491FB14C4.thumb.jpeg.8ff0659c9b27f9d18d44f79b368610ff.jpeg

B99F5ED1-CDED-4210-BF42-62D0D66E18BA.thumb.jpeg.dc0107bc48e96dc0247fa6f53726b438.jpeg

* sorry for the watch - I know there was a (short-term) member that liked to leave his Rolex in his pictures. I can assure you this is a cheap Garmin and not meant to be a hidden product placement 
😉

** a big thanks to @JoNorvelleWalker for suggesting this year’s holiday read - it is a great book !

What type of power outlet do you have there?  Is it Swiss?  I always thought Spain's outlets were similar to those in Germany...

“Lunch” happens a bit later in Catalonia. Around 16.00h, to be precise …

We went to one of my wife’s aunts, a very lovely person and a good cook. My wife stayed at her house for some years while studying at the UAB in Barcelona, which is too far from her hometown for daily travel.

After salty snacks and a glass of vermouth we started with Esqueixada, a salad made from salt cod (desalinated, but not cooked), ripe tomatoes, peppers, good oil and vinegar, served with raw onion. It is traditional and fits perfectly to the temperatures …

D75A0DF2-A621-4C32-8E17-872D3F0BADFA.thumb.jpeg.1533a9d5a7f3431953bfce38073559b2.jpeg

Main course was rap amb cloïssas (or monkfish with clams), served in a sauce made from olive oil, garlic, roasted almonds, a bit of chocolate and parsley. This was fantastic. Each of us got a small monkfish - the little one finished his portion alone, much to the surprise of our hosts …

E1BDDADB-408D-40B3-B13B-B26C89F75EB8.thumb.jpeg.67f6ba76246a0ee1e660efbe1febf9c1.jpeg

Drinks included (cooled) red wine, water and a 0/0 version of the wine/lemonade mixture - no calories and no alcohol …

F0564575-3A25-4BE2-A6A5-86525378CEED.thumb.jpeg.4d60685c88bd2dc44fb8a7d2b2642e5b.jpeg

For digestif #1 a strong coffee with milk & brandy …

8E30C283-F577-4E77-88F2-5F0EE467310C.thumb.jpeg.7a38e61b32f678f006c07c1a7479095f.jpeg

And digestif #2 was a herbal liquor called orujo de hierbas

5834FAFE-663E-4D9F-BCE7-0040864646A7.thumb.jpeg.9819facb930c86e694f9dc4cfc09307f.jpeg

The little one was happy with the food, but even happier with the pool ☺️

F801DF67-AC6F-4BDB-AA40-D59E7D0D8E87.thumb.jpeg.c9b2e1972540f285bd3b176a8ad8e337.jpeg

Edited by Duvel (log)
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1