• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Coconut milk curdling?

Hassouni

I bought some frozen coconut milk, the very minimally processed stuff made in Thailand sold at many East Asian supermarkets. It's 100% coconut milk, and the idea was to avoid the stabilizers etc added to pretty much all the canned brands. I tried cooking with it and it curdled. Is that normal?  Any tricks I should know of?

All I can add is that I had some canned that I only used a bit of - then froze, then thawed, then re-froze. Curdled in container Smells good. I've some in a stew on stove now and all good. Did yours remain curdled and was it inedible, or just unattractive?

Edited by heidih (log)

19 hours ago, Hassouni said:

I bought some frozen coconut milk, the very minimally processed stuff made in Thailand sold at many East Asian supermarkets. It's 100% coconut milk, and the idea was to avoid the stabilizers etc added to pretty much all the canned brands. I tried cooking with it and it curdled. Is that normal?  Any tricks I should know of?

Does this help? I am no food scientist but it sounds quite reasonable. 

Click.

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog