• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Happened to Wheat Germ?

heidih

In my teens I always had a jar of this in the fridge. Kretschmer I think. I see Bob's Red Mill when I google as well. I added it to baked goods for its nutty flavor and loved it on plain yogurt with fruit as a snack or mini meal. Must re-visit. Anyone using it? 

Edited by heidih (log)

I haven't thought of wheat germ in years :)!  Your post though, reminded me of the time when my mom used Postum instead of instant coffee.  I didn't care for coffee then but sometimes I would have some Postum instead of tea.  I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder if they still make it.  Have to go check!

17 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

I haven't thought of wheat germ in years :)!  Your post though, reminded me of the time when my mom used Postum instead of instant coffee.  I didn't care for coffee then but sometimes I would have some Postum instead of tea.  I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I wonder if they still make it.  Have to go check!

Grandma always had it in cupboard. Not sure why but I liked it - a way to mimic coffee drinking as a little kid.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Postum-Caffeine-Free-Instant-Coffee-Substitute-Original-Flavor-8-oz-Jar/895370651

19 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

It's quite popular here. This brand in particular.

Wheatgerm.thumb.jpg.cf985f10437be1642ef75c10ce2a38fc.jpg

It is imported from Australia.

I can see this, too. But don't eat it. It's soap.

491442497_wheatgermsoap.thumb.jpg.fb5f1eb6dece5251b084487926fb7aff.jpg

How is the food version typically used if you know

20 hours ago, heidih said:

In my teens I always had a jar of this in the fridge. Kretschmer I think. I see Bob's Red Mill when I google as well. I added it to baked goods for its nutty flavor and loved it on plain yogurt with fruit as a snack or mini meal. Must re-visit. Anyone using it? 

Yes, Kretschmer toasted wheat germ. I ate it since way back. I used to love opening it slowly so I could hear, and see, the vacuum whoosh. It's still sold at our nearby supermarket. In my pre-gluten sensitivity days I'd combine it with other cold cereals before adding milk. I also would add it to cooked oatmeal or incorporate it into banana bread or pancakes.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

Yes, Kretschmer toasted wheat germ. I ate it since way back. I used to love opening it slowly so I could hear, and see, the vacuum whoosh. It's still sold at our nearby supermarket. In my pre-gluten sensitivity days I'd combine it with other cold cereals before adding milk. I also would add it to cooked oatmeal or incorporate it into banana bread or pancakes.

Oh goodness - I do remember that sound!

My mother fed us wheat germ as a cereal when we were children - couldn't stand the stuff.

Curiously, I just tasted it in a version of Muësli which I'm trying out. So far my favourite Muësli is Bob's Red Mill which doesn't have a preponderance of wheat germ. So I guess I still don't think much of the flavour. 🙄

On 8/13/2021 at 8:27 PM, liuzhou said:

🤣It's quite popular here. This brand in particular.

Wheatgerm.thumb.jpg.cf985f10437be1642ef75c10ce2a38fc.jpg

It is imported from Australia.

I can see this, too. But don't eat it. It's soap.

491442497_wheatgermsoap.thumb.jpg.fb5f1eb6dece5251b084487926fb7aff.jpg

Not to de-rail, but I started laughing when I saw this. Way back when after she graduated from college, my stepdaughter took a job teaching English in Japan as so many young people were doing then. She didn't speak a word of Japanese. Not long after she'd been there, she called. She related that grocery shopping was a challenge because she was never sure if she was buying something to cook and eat or something to put into the toilet for 1,000 blue flushes. That's all I could think of when I saw your post/photos! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Deb

Liberty, MO

Wasn't wheat germ a by product of the flour refining process so rather than waste it a clever marketing campaign to ensure you had enough roughage to prevent constipation?

Mothers loved it to make sure their children were "regular". It could make up for all the quick and easy (and usually atrocious) ready meals from the supermarket.

The "Health Food Movement" ensure its success. Healthy food had to be different (close to unpalatable), but you added all sorts of dried berries and fruit to make it edible.

• Like 1

Be kind first.

Be nice.

(If you don't know the difference then you need to do some research)

21 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Wasn't wheat germ a by product of the flour refining process so rather than waste it a clever marketing campaign to ensure you had enough roughage to prevent constipation?

Mothers loved it to make sure their children were "regular". It could make up for all the quick and easy (and usually atrocious) ready meals from the supermarket.

The "Health Food Movement" ensure its success. Healthy food had to be different (close to unpalatable), but you added all sorts of dried berries and fruit to make it edible.

We must be coming from different perspectives and cultures. Never heard it touted for kids to keep them "regular" and I ate it because it added nuttiness as previously mentioned. "Close to unpalatable" I differ with". I do not eat things just because they are touted as "healthy" Yes the vitamins and minerals were also featured in adverts as are many foods we relish and eat all the time..

• Like 1

I used to keep a bag on hand to add to my bread, though I haven't of late. It contains a high percentage of the grain's nutritive value, as well as a modicum of fiber, so there are certainly arguments for eating it.

• Like 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, Bernie said:

You may be thinking of wheat bran, the fibrous outer covering.  Wheat germ is added for the protein content, not fiber.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, pastrygirl said:

You may be thinking of wheat bran, the fibrous outer covering.  Wheat germ is added for the protein content, not fiber.

I think you nailed the confusion. Wheat germ as far as I understand is not shelf stable.  Goes rancid.  So would not be in a boxed muesli mix as one post mentioned or made into a gruel. Wheat bran yes. 

• Like 2

Taking the trash out today I noticed sister had thrown out the couple old Sunset magazines I'd saved. Fished them out (unharmed). Opened the May 1973 75th Anniversary edition and it fell open to this page

wheat germ.JPG

• Like 10

Here is the wheat bread.  The recipe uses 1/2 cup of wheat germ for two loaves.  The second loaf came out kind of wonky because I was not patient enough to shape it correctly but I am sure it will be fine toasted for breakfast.

1174112882_wheatbread2.thumb.jpg.b48a428178b08a3d7dc5d2c2b535df4e.jpg

• Like 7
  • Delicious 1

37 minutes ago, Duvel said:

The word you were looking for is “artisanal” … 😉

And would that artist be Salvador Dali?

• Haha 5

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer