• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"English" foods (?)

liuzhou

one thing about E.M.'s

from USA or HK :

cut them w a knife :  you get a certain result.

use a fork ,  and go around and pry them open

that way

you get a different result , 

using the same pack // batch

• Like 4

I remember many years ago, in London, standing with my late wife waiting for a bus. By the bus stop was a sort of deli. It was closed (it was a Sunday), but we were looking at the very appealing window display.

One lunatic started ranting on about foreigners invading us and that would shouldn't buy that alien muck! Then he spotted some tea in the window.

"Look at that! Effing Ceylon tea! Chinese muck!" (Geography clearly wasn't his strong point!) "Buy proper English tea!"

My wife replied  "Yes. Grown in the plantations of Kent, no doubt!"

"No you idiot! It's grown in Yorkshire!"

The entire bus queue was cracking up with laughter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

You and I may not live to see it but I predict the time is coming.

I am not going to comment on that.

I meant that the difference between the UK, Britain and the constituent members is not difficult to understand. Yet, few people do.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

10 hours ago, rotuts said:

cut them w a knife :  you get a certain result.

use a fork ,  and go around and pry them open

that way

you get a different result ,

Absolutely. Depending on my mood I will do it one way or the other. Sometimes it might depend on what I am going to add to the toasted sides

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog