• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I am guessing that England has many French food references since William de Normandie (The Conqueror) was from France and his French speaking court replaced the Saxon court.  I always thought that is why the Saxon farm workers that produced the food had different names for the food than barons who ate the food.. ie cow, beef (boef), pig-pork (porc)_, deer-venison, chicken-poultry, etc.  

Norm Matthews

Norm Matthews

I am guessing that England has many French food references since William de Normandie (The Conqueror) was from France and his French speaking court replaced the Saxon court.  I always thought that is why the Saxon farm workers that produced the food had different names for the food than barons who ate the food.. ie cow, beef (boef), pig-pork (porc0_, deer-venison, chicken-poultry, etc.