• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'll probably never do it but I'd sure like to know how. I had no idea there was such a process or even a need for it. How is it used in Chinese cooking?

I haven't seen the cookbook you are referencing, so this is a guess, but hopefully an educated one!

They are probably talking about rock sugar - the most common type here - and people do rinse that to get rid of any dust or worse it may have picked up during processing, handling and distribution etc. I wrote about sugar in China a while back in this topic.

冰糖.jpg

Rock Sugar

From your accounts, the cookbook certainly seems badly written, but not necessarily wrong.

liuzhou

liuzhou

1 hour ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I'll probably never do it but I'd sure like to know how. I had no idea there was such a process or even a need for it. How is it used in Chinese cooking?

I haven't seen the cookbook you are referencing, so this is a guess, but an educated one!

They are probably talking about rock sugar - the most common type here - and people do rinse that to get rid of any dust or worse it may have picked up during processing, handling and distribution etc. I wrote about sugar in China a while back in this topic.

冰糖.jpg

Rock Sugar

From your accounts, the cookbook certainly seems badly written, but not necessarily wrong.