• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Addiction to Diet Sodas - How Bad Are They

weinoo

Another health issue (possibly) is the phosphoric acid in soda affecting bone density...so women who drink a lot of soda without counteracting with calcium may have higher incidence of osteoporosis.

• Sad 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Sprite is also an occasional treat for me but non diet. Diet rootbeer, especially Stewart’s is a treat too. 

I figure my affection for diet ginger ale cannot be as bad for me as the 60 plus ounces of Diet Coke I’d guzzle constantly in lieu of food when I worked in Manhattan. Then again I was 100lbs so I wouldn’t mind being that size again. I just can’t do caffeine anymore. 

On 8/12/2021 at 10:51 AM, MetsFan5 said:

The only soda I drink is diet ginger ale. I cut all caffeine out of my diet and I used to live off Diet Coke. It exacerbates my anxiety. Everything I drink is diet except seltzer which I drink a lot of and obviously water and wine. 

I drink Canada Dry Ginger Ale because it's one of the few sodas that doesn't have caramel color added (Google it). I drink the Diet version but I mix it with Pom pomegranate juice and it's freakin' delicious. It's also good with Dole's Strawberry Lemonade. I do about a 3-to-1 (diet soda to mixer) ratio so I'm not really drinking diet soda...kinda. :D

The issue I have with most of the studies de-crying diet soda is they can't show causality. It's all statistics like they do with insurance studies (eg, "most red headed woman live 10 years longer than women with other hair color") but lack the cause/proof.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

44 minutes ago, rotuts said:

@weinoo 

"" Goes well with all the sodium. ""

ice cold beer is better

even Diet Beer ( ice cold ) 

works well.

Preference here is for a nice off-dry Riesling with much Chinese food, especially spicy. Or even a nice, fruity young gamay.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

On 8/13/2021 at 6:36 AM, chileheadmike said:

I have an anti-sweet tooth. No soda pop for me. I drink unsweetened tea all day. Sometimes it's a challenge to get unsweetened tea here, and if you don't specify, you get something approaching pancake syrup.  The only exception is a Jarritos orange at my local taqueria a couple times a year. 

Ice cold Jarritos Tamarindo (glass bottle only) eaten with street tacos or street dogs (bacon wrapped) hits my spot every couple years.

• Like 2
  • Delicious 1

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Preference here is for a nice off-dry Riesling with much Chinese food, especially spicy. Or even a nice, fruity young gamay.

Or - as witnessed at far too many banquets in China - either ice cold  red wine (of dubious origin) or baijiu, served from little 100 mL carafes, that magically refill themselves …

In both cases, I’d happily go with whatever diet soda they could offer (hint: none) …

• Like 1