• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stromboli

Tropicalsenior

Stromboli

8 servings

mXFld0R8YiF9wcllvzu9evWjNdQ3gZ2uB4pQiDv-oXW-VCMEKSTGLNeLktG9Zfg5bVJ7Vn9Cj3MHqhT4oo2Y8S5yRz0Gg92FPEeH-IjkN_jv9WMZIiN2fl9WA9TQcKhIfS57NGKG

I usually make one of these every weekend. It's great to have on hand for snacking and it never needs to get boring because you can change the filling to anything you want or anything that you have on hand.

Dough

Approximately 1 cup warm water

1 tablespoon granulated sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 teaspoon salt

Filling

1/2 cup pizza sauce

1/2 pound sliced Italian cold cuts or pepperoni

1 to 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Topping

1 egg beaten

In bowl of stand mixer whisk together flour, salt, sugar and yeast . Add the warm water and with dough hook mix on medium speed just until dough comes together. Add only enough water to have a soft but not sticky dough. If the dough is too soft the filling will break through as it bakes. Turn the mixer down to kneading speed and knead for 5 minutes. Let rest, in the bowl, for 10 minutes and then knead again for five minutes longer. Shape into a ball on the counter and cover with a bowl. (Do not place in an oiled bowl) Let rise for 45 minutes.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured cutting board or counter and roll out into a large rectangle. Approximately 14 in by 11 in.

Spread pizza sauce lightly and evenly over dough until about 2" away from edges. Top with sliced cold cuts or pepperoni and then sprinkle with cheese.

67yz5hZtMg9st9xZcyvZaFxKzS3BHUZVO2kvr-2QoqynkkwQ1weO1wMvTwoLC-10Ab1O5I6uyENPQuMr9cDnJQAao3yJR49quTJri0vipk1antc34Mt4C4WNIeXCp0MlSFQgrOsu

Brush the edges of each of the short ends and fold over the filling. Brush one long side with beaten egg and starting on the opposite side roll up cinnamon roll style being careful to seal bottom edge. Transfer to a baking sheet lined with greased parchment paper or foil with the sealed edge at the bottom. Cut small slits at even intervals on the top being careful to cut almost to the bottom but not through. Cover with a thin moist towel and let rise for about 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350o. Brush with beaten egg. Bake in oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden. Serve hot with extra pizza sauce if desired

Note: the amounts on the filling ingredients are optional. I usually have two layers of thin sliced meat. I then cover it with shredded cheese. My favorites are mozzarella and Parmesan but I also use asiago, gorgonzola, and provolone if I have them on hand. For the pizza sauce, I spread it very thinly on the dough and then drizzle a little on top of the cheese. Sometimes I sprinkle Italian seasoning over the cheese. It helps to press everything down before you start to roll it up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@MaryIsobel I decided just to post this instead of trying to answer your question otherwise. It took me quite a while to figure out a way not to over stuff it. The main trick is to have a bread dough that is strong enough to stretch and not break. Just don't make the dough too soft.

30 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

@MaryIsobel I decided just to post this instead of trying to answer your question otherwise. It took me quite a while to figure out a way not to over stuff it. The main trick is to have a bread dough that is strong enough to stretch and not break. Just don't make the dough too soft.

Thank you - the rolling tips are helpful - my efforts usually involve sort of a fold and flop method!

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Thank you - the rolling tips are helpful - my efforts usually involve sort of a fold and flop method!

If you have a bench scraper it is particularly useful to help you lift and fold the dough. You also want to have enough flour underneath so that it doesn't stick to the board as you're trying to roll.

40 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

If you have a bench scraper it is particularly useful to help you lift and fold the dough. You also want to have enough flour underneath so that it doesn't stick to the board as you're trying to roll.

40 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

Well now I am anxious to try stromboli again - little to warm right now but soon. I wish I had "known" you when we were in Costa Rica last year, it would have been fun to connect!

• Like 1