• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

Perhaps one of my most interesting dehydrate/rehydrate discoveries is peppers, including green bell peppers. (Sorry @rotuts).  When dehydrated, much volume is lost. The rehydrated pepper doesn't rehydrate fully and, even after a bit of cooking, is still quite leathery, so it doesn't disappear like a regular pepper would. Also when using the dried peppers, I have a tendency to throw quite a bit (1/3 to 2/3 cup) into the beans or soup or stew. This results in a very strong bell pepper flavour which I find very tasty!

In a full Instant Pot I might also add 1+ tablespoon of dried poblano pepper.

Yesterday at the farmers' market I bought 3 pounds (1.4 kilo) green bell peppers and a quart (litre) of small colourful bell peppers. This created 3 trays of green bell pepper and 1 tray of colourful bell pepper.

IMG_3710_cropped.thumb.jpg.0ca4b8cfa4bdc9495aef0290775d88a9.jpg

Fresh, the colourful pepper tray had about half the volume of one tray of green bell pepper (which was also cut into twice larger dice). This is the tray after it had dried overnight. 

IMG_3709_cropped.thumb.jpg.b51c4fae8af0e288314ec7a8a7753b93.jpg

This 600 ml jar contains all of the dehydrated green bell pepper. It's about 2/3 full (couple dessicant packs in there).
So that's 1.4 kilo = 400 ml. You can see there is quite a significant reduction!

IMG_3712_cropped.thumb.jpg.a1cd3ebf5844583cb91eef02bd34c57d.jpg

TdeV

TdeV

Clarity

Perhaps one of my most interesting dehydrate/rehydrate discoveries is peppers, including green bell peppers. (Sorry @rotuts).  When dehydrated, much volume is lost. The rehydrated pepper doesn't rehydrate fully and, even after a bit of cooking, is still quite leathery, so it doesn't disappear like a regular pepper would. Also when using the dried peppers, I have a tendency to throw quite a bit (1/3 to 2/3 cup) into the beans or soup or stew. This results in a very strong bell pepper flavour which I find very tasty!

Yesterday at the farmers' market I bought 3 pounds (1.4 kilo) green bell peppers and a quart (litre) of small colourful bell peppers. This created 3 trays of green bell pepper and 1 tray of colourful bell pepper.

Fresh, the colourful pepper tray had about half the volume of one tray of green bell pepper (which was also cut into twice larger dice). This is the tray after it had dried overnight. 

This 600 ml jar contains all of the dehydrated green bell pepper. It's about 2/3 full (couple dessicant packs in there).
So that's ~1.5 kilo = 400 ml. You can see there is quite a significant reduction!

TdeV

TdeV

Perhaps one of my most interesting dehydrate/rehydrate discoveries is peppers, including green bell peppers. (Sorry @rotuts).  When dehydrated, much volume is lost. The rehydrated pepper doesn't rehydrate fully and, even after a bit of cooking, is still quite leathery. Also when using the dried peppers, I have a tendency to throw quite a bit (1/3 to 2/3 cup) into the beans or soup or stew. This results in a very strong bell pepper flavour which I find very tasty!

So that's ~1.5 kilo = 400 ml. You can see there is quite a significant reduction!

TdeV

TdeV

Perhaps one of my most interesting dehydrate/rehydrate discoveries is peppers, including green bell peppers. (Sorry rotuts). When dehydrated, much volume is lost. The rehydrated pepper doesn't rehydrate fully and, even after a bit of cooking, is still quite leathery. Also when using the dried peppers, I have a tendency to throw quite a bit (1/3 to 2/3 cup) into the beans or soup or stew. This results in a very strong bell pepper flavour which I find very tasty!