• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction-friendly cookware

Indirect Heat

We just got an induction cooktop to replace our standard electrical resistance cooktop.  It's fantastic.  Got a cast-iron pan to steak-searing temperature in 60 seconds.  Really fun, and much more like gas cooking that I've done in previous homes.

A few of our pots are not induction-compatible, so we're looking at replacing them.  I see a lot of sites recommending various cladded pots that have non-magnetic interior cores (copper or aluminum) surrounded by stainless steel.  Are these actually going to be great performance cookware on an induction cooktop?  We have a lot of All-Clad at home, but if they're not the best pots for induction, I don't want to spend All-clad prices to get so-so performance.  Will those non-magnetic cores interfere with heating?  I haven't found any good resources on the web for choosing induction cookware that aren't obviously sponsored sites.  Anyone have good choices for online resources?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I have an induction cooktop and before that an induction stove.  I agree, they are fantastic.  All you need do is take a magnet and put it on the bottom of the outside on the pan.  If it sticks, you are good to go.

• Like 1

IKEA  has a lot of induction pots and pans

at various prices.   

Id start there for ' utility ' pans

https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere/cookware/

are much more expensive

I have one of the middle sauciers 

I like it a lot.  never got the induction 

range to go with it  alas.

https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere-atlantis-3.5-qt-saucier-with-lid-18%2F10-stainless-steel--25924-41524/40851-228-0.html?cgid=our-brands_demeyere_cookware_atlantis#start=1

29 minutes ago, Indirect Heat said:

We have a lot of All-Clad at home, but if they're not the best pots for induction, I don't want to spend All-clad prices to get so-so performance. 

All of my All-Clad pans work on my induction burner, though I understand there are a couple of lines that don't.  How is it you have found yours to be "not the best?"

I have been using induction for many years and for the most part I have found that it is simple on and off. Either a pan works or it doesn’t. The only time it becomes iffy is when the pan is warped and does not make good contact with the induction hob. 

edited to add

I do seem to recall one pan that seemed that it might work. The heat would come on and then go off and if you moved the pan it might come back on again. I recall that a magnet would barely cling to the bottom of this pan. 

Edited by Anna N
Clarification. (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ikea, Sitram, Lodge carbon steel and  vintage cast iron are all I use on my induction.   That right there is a pretty wide price range.  I haven't noticed performance issues other than the Ikea nonstick frying pans Trovardig (discontinued) take a bit longer to heat up.  

Edited by lemniscate (log)

I'm going through the same issue - but I've switched out a gas range for induction burners (my new apartment has no gas service).  None of my 16 year old All-Clad LTD works on induction.  I will be using 2 countertop induction hobs - I have the first one (relatively inexpensive) already, and although it is quite powerful (3500W), it doesn't have the most even heat distribution.  If I turn my cast iron on high power right away, you can see a definite ring.  So, I let the cast iron heat at lower power to even itself out.  The heat distribution issue is even more obvious on my carbon steel pan!  But when I use higher power for my Le Creuset enameled cast iron pot filled with water - it brings it to a boil really fast and the large amount of water evens out the hot spots.

I've been thinking about replacing the LTD with something that is magnetic (hence induction compatible) but also has some sort of aluminum or copper core to help even out the hot spots but I don't know what to use just yet.  I don't plan to get any non-stick cookware.

1 hour ago, lindag said:

@KennethTThat could be the issue, all my AC is stainless and it works fine.

Right - the LTD has an anodized aluminum exterior with an aluminum core and stainless interior.  But even the stainless interior is non-magnetic as is most types of stainless.

• Like 1

Thanks, all.

Sorry for lack of clarity in my post.  Have only tested 2 All-clads, and they seem fine, but haven't taken them rigorously through the paces to see if they heat as quickly as the cast iron pan.  Tested a couple of other no-name pots that my wife brought to our family, and they don't work at all (some kind of non-magnetic stainless).  And the ~100 year-old cast-iron that I inherited from my grandmother seems absolutely brilliant (from cold to searing steaks temp in 60 seconds as mentioned).  I haven't tried to test whether the all-clads heat up as fast or not, was just wondering if there was a range of performance in induction cookware.  I guess I should try to heat a gallon of water to boiling in various pots to see if there is a range in terms of heat transfer.

42 minutes ago, KennethT said:

But even the stainless interior is non-magnetic as is most types of stainless.

It is true that some types of SS are  non-magnetic but by no means all. Much of my cookware is stainless steel and it works just fine on induction. When I used to shop thrift stores in the before time, I always carried a magnet to test pans before buying them. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

7 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

All of my All-Clad pans work on my induction burner, though I understand there are a couple of lines that don't.  How is it you have found yours to be "not the best?"

Yup - some of the All-Clad I have (particularly the 3 pieces I picked up for $10 each - aren't induction compatible. But the All-Clad I have that are induction compatible work beautifully on induction and are much preferred to lifting a cast iron pan. 

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Anna N said:

…When I used to shop thrift stores in the before time, I always carried a magnet to test pans before buying them. 

@Anna NI know you’re interested in the evolution of language, and I also know this is “off topic” here, but I love “in the before time” as a descriptor for the current time. 💛

Edited by DesertTinker
Bolded text added. (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DesertTinker said:

@Anna NI know you’re interested in the evolution of language, and I also know this is “off topic” here, but I love “in the before time” as a descriptor for the current time. 💛

Thanks. I certainly did not coin it! I do like it. It is so much more colourful than pre-Covid. 

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

We went through this last year and I found a great site for comparing cookware that had loads of objective data and tests, but I can't seem to dredge it up now.  I'll respond again if I find it.  Have you checked out the recommendations on Wirecutter.com?  I've relied on them many times and have no regrets.  Of course, like any such site, one needs to read and understand the rationale behind the recommendations to ensure that the issues and features they mention are relevant to your needs.

When we bought our induction range we needed to replace few saucepans, a stockpot and a tea kettle.  We ended up getting a small Cuisinart Multiclad Pro set, plus a stainless tea kettle from Amazon.  Everything works great for us.  If you look around, those Cuisinart sets are often listed as a good budget/value choice for induction.  They used to be a Wirecutter pick, but they've been demoted because of problems with them warping under high heat.  We weren't concerned about that though because we've always used cast iron or carbon steel cookware for high heat applications. 

Earlier this summer I picked up an inexpensive carbon steel wok with a flat bottom at Home Goods.  I'd never heard of the brand, but it was the right size, material, style and it appeared to be well made so I took a chance.  I am glad I did because it works amazingly well - especially for the price.  The flat part fits perfectly on one of my hobs.  I have a bigger wok and a high BTU propane burner out back, but I'll probably only break them out for messy cooks now.

• Like 3

I still haven't found the site I was thinking of, but I did find another one that was helpful when I was looking for cookware:  https://www.centurylife.org/how-to-choose-cookware/ .  Of course not everyone will agree with all of their conclusions, but like their approach to reviewing cookware and kitchen gear and they present a lot of information on the site.