• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best internal temperature for liquid for braised short ribs? Lid or no lid?

torolover

So I did another test.

I braised my short ribs in a 250F oven.  After 1 hour I checked the temp of the braising liquid and it was 210-212F!

I braised my short ribs in a 200F oven.  After 1 hour, I checked the temp of the braising liquid and it was 195F.  After 3 hours, the temp of the braising liquid was still 195F.

So if you really want to braise low and slow, it needs to be done at 200F oven or lower.  Otherwise braising in a 250F oven is the same slow boiling the short ribs on a stovetop.

Please note, this is assuming that the ribs are completely submerged in stock/braising liquid, and you get the stock to a boil, before you put into the oven.

Edited by torolover (log)