• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Basque cheese cake

shain

Not very much like a regular cheesecake in texture - this one is more custardy and creamy.

It's the easiest cheesecake I ever made.

Amount for a 6" wide cake pan.

For an 8" pan, double the ingredients.

• 300g cream cheese
  • 110g sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 150g full fat cream (I think it could also work with sour cream or mascarpone if you'd like a tart cheesecake)
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • some grated nutmeg
  • apx 1/3 tsp fine orange zest
  • 30g flour

• Most recipes suggest that you line the cake with a parchment paper, so that it covers the sides as well and ends above the pan, this allowes for easy removal of the cake.
  • I opted to use a spring-form pan, brushed with butter, but this requires that your pan is stick and leak proof!
  • Heat oven to 220C, no water bath needed.
  • In a wide bowl, beat sugar and cream cheese.
  • Add eggs and mix well.
  • Mix in the cream, vanilla, salt, nutmeg and orange zest.
  • Sift in the flower while gently folding, until evenly distributed.
  • Pour into the pan.
  • Bake for 35-45 minutes, the cake needs to rise and become very dark (some say black, but I find it to be too much).
    • Avoid over baking, so that the center stays custardy. If you'd like, you can under bake so that it turns out creamy.
  • Remove from the oven and let chill completely before removing from the pan..
  • Refrigerate to cool.
  • It's best serve slightly below room temperature, so l suggest you let it warm up if refrigerated overnight.
  • Serve with brandy!

PXL_20210520_154434234.thumb.jpg.9aab5b95cc3c296717afe681d691592a.jpgPXL_20210520_154619875.thumb.jpg.a573b2e6c0a9e2b8ba4d36742b637b98.jpgPXL_20210520_183335863.thumb.jpg.26bb935eda3b57f1ef0d675ff255633e.jpg

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

~ Shai N.

32 minutes ago, Tropicalsenior said:

I like the fact that it has no crust.

I am too not a fan of cheesecake crusts. I do prefer a crumble/streusel topping (but a crisp one, not the powdery kind). I don't think this cake really needs it though.

• Thanks 2

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

I am too not a fan of cheesecake crusts. I do prefer a crumble/streusel topping (but a crisp one, not the powdery kind). I don't think this cake really needs it though.

In the US we are often fond of graham cracker crusts that add both flavor and crunch depending on the style.

• Like 2

Well I baked the cheesecake and I had qualified success.

I got all my ingredients together and got out my 6 in springform pan and it leaked like a sieve. One of the disadvantages of living in a third world country is that I cannot run out to the nearest housewares store and buy what I need. So my next step was to ask Mister Google if there was any way that I could stop a springform pan from leaking. I followed several suggestions that had no effect until I came to one that suggested I paint the groove of the pan with a flour and water mixture. It worked like a charm, only a small leak but it glued the bottom of the pan in and defeated the whole purpose of having a springform pan. I have no other round cake pans because I had given all of them to my maid to set up a small bakery in her house which failed in a month.

Then I remembered I had a large cupcake pan and decided to do individual cheesecakes. Since they couldn't stay in the oven as long, they don't have the deep, dark, rich color but I'm hoping for the texture and the taste. The taste of the batter was absolutely delicious. Probably one of the best that I have ever tasted.

If they aren't exactly perfect this time, I have the advantage of having two housemates that will eat anything that I set in front of them.

20210728_135451.thumb.jpg.eb04fd2c076b8d7ff0457c6e719dee96.jpg

They look great to me and I don't know how I am going to be able to wait until they are cold to try one of them.

Again, @shain, thank you for this recipe.

• Like 3

@Tropicalsenior you had me worried at first, but I'm glad the result looks promising!

You don't have to wait long until they are cool enough to eat. I liked it best just lightly chilled.

I'm eager to find out how it turned out.

Edited by shain (log)
  • Like 1

~ Shai N.

1 hour ago, shain said:

I'm eager to find out how it turned out.

Oh my word! It is Heavenly. I followed the recipe down to the exact gram. The only thing that I changed was the pan. I don't know the capacity of the cupcake pans but the diameter of the hole is just a little bit over 3 in. I filled the pans almost full and the amount in the recipe was perfect. I baked them 25 minutes instead of 35 so they didn't get black like a real Basque cheesecake but the flavor and the texture are wonderful.

20210728_161201.thumb.jpg.3f10d066ee9bc5d8ac25e83bae359e51.jpg

The only problem now is not to eat them all so that I have some to share with my housemates.

20210728_161041.thumb.jpg.e8ca7713e897e930d16a2873528b25d0.jpg

I like the fact that the ingredients are something that I always have on hand. It is definitely one of the easiest cheesecakes that I have ever made. I'll be making this again and again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, gilbertlevine said:

@Tropicalseniora sprinkling of sugar and a hot torch after baking -a la creme  brulee -would give you the caramelized top

It sounds like a great idea but again, I live in a third world country and the closest thing that I can come to a torch is rhe neighbor's welding torch or my barbecue lighter. It gave me another good idea though. I can pop it under the broiler for a few minutes. Thank you.

• Like 1