• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP member IowaDee

Smithy

I heard a bit more today. Those who wish to know how to honor @IowaDee's memory will find the information in her obituary.

Dee's Obit.pdf

The "In Memoriam" page showing her as a little girl still has nothing to open, it seems, but it is so touching that I'm including it again. 

1877520723_DeeatBigBear.jpg.2852a961724522353fff2f7f8aeb79bf.jpg

Time passes too quickly, folks. Treasure it, and cherish your friends and family. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Delicious 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 1 month later...

Hi EG family- this is IowaDee's daughter- I guess you can call me IowaG. I'm down for the weekend helping dad with some projects, and saw this conversation on the forum. I wanted you to know how much you all meant to her and how much she loved talking food, family, critters and every other topic with ya'll. She was truly my best friend, and I miss her so much. To anyone who says online friends aren't "real" friends...malarkey. Where else can someone in rural Iowa talk about durian (she didn't like it!), birding (this is the first time in 20 years her bird count won't be part of the official Backyard Bird Count for Cornell) and books. I won't talk about what happened with her the last months of her life, but I will say we had a peaceful and lovely last day, sitting on a rooftop patio at the hospital, watching butterflies among beautiful flowers. 

I will say to you what I said to my friends- if there's someone who brings light and joy into your world, tell them that. The last thing I got to say to my mom is that I loved her. Don't hold off saying that. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 18

3 hours ago, IowaDee said:

Hi EG family- this is IowaDee's daughter- I guess you can call me IowaG. I'm down for the weekend helping dad with some projects, and saw this conversation on the forum. I wanted you to know how much you all meant to her and how much she loved talking food, family, critters and every other topic with ya'll. She was truly my best friend, and I miss her so much. To anyone who says online friends aren't "real" friends...malarkey. Where else can someone in rural Iowa talk about durian (she didn't like it!), birding (this is the first time in 20 years her bird count won't be part of the official Backyard Bird Count for Cornell) and books. I won't talk about what happened with her the last months of her life, but I will say we had a peaceful and lovely last day, sitting on a rooftop patio at the hospital, watching butterflies among beautiful flowers. 

I will say to you what I said to my friends- if there's someone who brings light and joy into your world, tell them that. The last thing I got to say to my mom is that I loved her. Don't hold off saying that. 

SO SO MANY HUGS to you.  Thanks so much for writing to us.  I--WE are so sorry for your loss.  We will always miss her.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, IowaDee said:

Thank you so much for letting us know this.  She was loved here and was so important to the eGullet community.  I'm so sorry you lost your mother and you best friend all in one.  May her memory be a comfort and a blessing!

Edited by Kim Shook (log)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...