• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

RIP member IowaDee

Smithy

It is with a very heavy heart that I'm announcing this. Member @IowaDee passed away last Sunday, July 18. I noticed that she had been offline for a few weeks, and wrote to see how she was doing. Her husband Frank answered me today with the news and the attached Word document. For those who can't or don't want to open it, I've attached a screen shot. It may be blurry, but it conveys the charm. 

More information will be coming later. I don't know why she died. Frank said I should also add that of their 61+ years of marriage they were only apart 2 weeks. They were truly, in his words, joined at the hip. 

Dee is one of many eG friends I've made online but never met in person. I'll miss her voice and good humor, and I'll miss the possibility of one day being able to rendezvous in Iowa.

Screenshot_20210725-122635_Office Mobile.jpg

Big Bear IowaDee.docx

• Sad 20

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy  This is very sad news.  I always enjoyed her posts, she seemed like a very nice lady.  I will miss her for sure.  I tried to open the document but all I got was the screenshot.  Is there more to the download?  Thank you for letting us know.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

@Smithy  This is very sad news.  I always enjoyed her posts, she seemed like a very nice lady.  I will miss her for sure.  I tried to open the document but all I got was the screenshot.  Is there more to the download?  Thank you for letting us know.

It's just the cover so far. I assume it's the cover for her memorial service, and that the interior hasn't been set yet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh life!  I found her to be a joyful and kind member of the eG community. She definitely leaves a lovely footprint. Hopefully after a bit @Smithy you'll be able to share our comments with her husband if you feel appropriate,

• Like 5

1 minute ago, heidih said:

Oh life!  I found her to be a joyful and kind member of the eG community. She definitely leaves a lovely footprint. Hopefully after a bit @Smithy you'll be able to share our comments with her husband if you feel appropriate,

One reason I used the call-out in my opening post was to draw his attention to the topic as he has time. When he sends me more information, I'll certainly send him a link and summary. He indicated that he's been quite busy corresponding with her various friends - including from the birding world - so I don't want to overload him. I am very grateful that he let me know and is allowing me to pass along the information.

• Like 12

So very sad. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Reading the title of this post, I did a double-, then triple-take because I couldn't believe might be true.  Phew, it really knocked the wind out of my sails and I had to go out for a walk to settle down a while before responding.  I know that before@IowaDee moved to Iowa, she lived in Woodland Hills and in Newbury Park, where I worked for 20+ years and still live nearby so I've felt a connection to her even though we never met.  I'll miss her funny, witty little quips, bird reports and annual grape jelly jar counts.  Having a hard time believing there won't be more posts here from @IowaDee

My sincere condolences to her husband and family.  

Thank you @Smithyfor sharing and please let us know if her husband has any wishes for ways that we might honor her memory. 

• Like 12

Such very shocking and sad news.   All of my best thoughts to her family.

I am recalling a conversation with another internet person who joked that his wife commented on all of his “imaginary friends”.   His as well as my response: these are NOT imaginary friends but rather real and important ones, even if we’ve not met face to face.

• Like 8

eGullet member #80.

Oh no, we've lost another good one! 

I'll miss her cheerfulness, her empathy, her friendly tone and humour. Just took a quick look at posts about flying kites and a funny story about her husband driving her to work through Topanga Canyon while she was pregnant and eating crackers to ward off nausea. Loved all the little details of her life that she shared, one of those warm folks who make you feel that you know them even when you've only read a few online posts! 

• Like 8

So sad — she was very good to me.

This place won't be the same without her. :sad:

• Like 6

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

:(

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

On 7/25/2021 at 4:38 PM, blue_dolphin said:

Reading the title of this post, I did a double-, then triple-take because I couldn't believe might be true.

Same here — I was shocked!

• Like 4

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

30 minutes ago, heidih said:

Absoltely and why we treasure every friendship moment.

Yes!

• Like 4

Oh, what a shocker, for certain! She was a delightful person, and I always enjoyed her posts and her queries. Never heard an ill word from her.

I hope her world is now full of birdsong, and that will be some condolence for the family whom I am sure is desolate. My prayers will be with them.

• Like 6

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Sad to hear. Always a shock when a member of eG dies. Are you all real people? Between a year and half of lockdown, my husband doing all the shopping, FaceTime doctor visits, lack of social events, pathetic and embarrassing reliance on Amazon, which I hate, etc., I think that slowly over time I have developed a permanently skewed view of life on earth.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

Sad to hear. Always a shock when a member of eG dies. Are you all real people? Between a year and half of lockdown, my husband doing all the shopping, FaceTime doctor visits, lack of social events, pathetic and embarrassing reliance on Amazon, which I hate, etc., I think that slowly over time I have developed a permanently skewed view of life on earth.  

We are very real and I think mostly truthful about how the Pandemic has impacted us. After my first in person meal with friends on Sunday I felt compelled to write one of the ladies that I appreciated both her positives and negatives about her isolation. Sometimes on FB for example it seems like we see sugar coated lives. I find eG quite honestly open. I think we are lucky to be here.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, heidih said:

We are very real and I think mostly truthful about how the Pandemic has impacted us. After my first in person meal with friends on Sunday I felt compelled to write one of the ladies that I appreciated both her positives and negatives about her isolation. Sometimes on FB for example it seems like we see sugar coated lives. I find eG quite honestly open. I think we are lucky to be here.

In spades. 

• Like 4

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com