• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers' Markets 2021—

FauxPas

Preliminary report on my garlic scapes. For better or worse, I blanched (about half) or steamed (the other half) what I still had because they really are potent. I used some of the blanched scapes for this dressing. It's delightful! I'll be posting photos with it drizzled over things, I'm sure.

On 7/14/2022 at 4:06 PM, FauxPas said:

I posted this recipe in the Dinner thread for a salad dressing using green garlic a while back, but I'm sure you could use garlic scapes as well. 

Green Garlic Salad Dressing 

3 stalks green garlic (white and green parts) chopped

1/2 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar 

1 teaspoon mustard (I use The Mustard Lady’s honey garlic mustard)

2 tablespoons honey

1 tablespoon lemon juice 

Salt and pepper to taste

*Blend until dressing is smooth and emulsified (like a smoothy). Refrigerate. 

Drizzle green garlic dressing on anything to add a sweet, intense garlic flavor. From salads to pasta, to bruschetta and roasted vegetables.

Then there's this suggestion...

On 7/14/2022 at 4:19 PM, chromedome said:

I've just harvested mine, as well, and have lots to work with for the next couple of days.

I generally make pesto with about half of my batch. I like them steamed (which mellows them) as a side vegetable, or in stir fries as well. Whatever I have left over after the first few days I'll usually puree with a bit of oil (just enough to make them come together as a paste) and then pack it into Ziploc bags and freeze it flat. When I want to use some in a sauce, scrambled eggs or whatever, I just pull out the bag, break off a piece and drop it in the pan.

I haven't tried pickling them yet, but it's on my "to do" list. Probably won't happen this year, unfortunately, because we're moving and I just don't have the time.

I'll be interested to see what folks say about pickling. I still have some pickled ramps from last year and am hesitant to add to the jars of pickled substances in our cupboards. However, I can see that I have a LOT of garlic scape paste! I'm not sure I did it any favors with the steaming. I just realized that I have neither walnuts nor pine nuts, and I'm not crazy about it with pecans or almonds. (Yes, I've tried it.) So it'll have to go into the freezer for now. If I don't like the way my pesto comes out (once I've found walnuts) I can always make more of that dressing!

4 hours ago, TicTac said:

@Kim ShookThose blackberries are amazing.

Re: Scapes - I would suggest grilling them and then use a mortar and pestle to turn into a paste (forget the food processor, diff end result), often with other options (varying between parm, chili, citrus, roasted veg, etc) and olive oil.

I'll try that, thanks - except the food processor or immersion blender will have to be my option. There's no mortar and pestle in this household big enough for them. I understand that the end result is different, but it's what my time and equipment will allow. I like the assorted flavors you suggest.

So far, clockwise from upper left, I have: scapes, cut and steamed for a few minutes, then shocked with cold water; @FauxPas's dressing, made from blanched (and shocked) scapes; steamed scapes spun up with olive oil, a touch of salt and a touch of lemon; the remaining blanched-and-shocked scapes. Some of those will be in tonight's dinner.

20220720_153605.jpg

While steaming and blanching both tenderized them slightly and brightened their colors, I think the quick blanch and shock produced a slightly better flavor. Whew, it's still pungent though!

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

3 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I'll be interested to see what folks say about pickling.

We tried the pickled scapes today at lunch, alongside a ham and cheese sandwich. We both agreed they were good, but pretty intense garlic flavour.

I am making a potato salad today and thinking about dicing some of the pickle scapes and adding them to the salad. 

One or two might be a nice accompaniment to a cocktail such as a Caesar or Bloody Mary. 

• Like 1

I used the rest of the blanched scapes this evening. If anyone wants more discussion they can read it in the Dinner topic. The scapes worked well. I have a lot to get through, but this pasta dish is a great use for them!

20220720_221435.jpg

• Like 6

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy - My pleasure.  Lots of interesting options you can do with grilled scapes.  The grilling tones down the raw garlic flavour (as with any cooking of the scapes) and brings out a natural sweetness which is really nice.

I have used this paste as a pizza base, a pasta sauce, a sandwich spread, dressings, etc etc.

I find with the mortar you get a creamier end result than with the blender - also given the crushing vs. slicing motion, the cells are treated different and turn into a totally unique beast.  You may even want to try a small amount in your mortar to see the difference.  It is significant. 

Lastly, re: pickles - if you do them from a raw state they will retain a lot of the raw sharp garlic notes - if you blanch or treat them first, they will not only absorb the flavours better but also not be as harsh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hit up my favorite honour stand today, as I do weekly. This was my 21.00 haul. Gerbera bunches (7 to a bunch) and lillies (4 stems) were 6.00 each and the little hand tied posie was 5.00. Those posies are my go to hostess gifts. Your host doesn't need to find a vase and arrange them - just stick them in a highball glass orflowers.thumb.jpg.83cd8e90426dad299cf12ba0c7720805.jpg a coffee mug.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MaryIsobel said:

Hit up my favorite honour stand today, as I do weekly. This was my 21.00 haul. Gerbera bunches (7 to a bunch) and lillies (4 stems) were 6.00 each and the little hand tied posie was 5.00. Those posies are my go to hostess gifts. Your host doesn't need to find a vase and arrange them - just stick them in a highball glass orflowers.thumb.jpg.83cd8e90426dad299cf12ba0c7720805.jpg a coffee mug.

I ADORE fresh flowers.  I never buy them for myself.  And no one really sends them to me lol...need to buy them for myself :) 

Those posies are precious. 

Reminds me of May Day which no one seems to celebrate any more.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Shelby said:

I ADORE fresh flowers.  I never buy them for myself.  And no one really sends them to me lol...need to buy them for myself :) 

Those posies are precious. 

Reminds me of May Day which no one seems to celebrate any more.

Do buy flowers for yourself Shelby. I figure with what my husband spends on fishing tackle and truck stuff, I am fully justified. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

Do buy flowers for yourself Shelby. I figure with what my husband spends on fishing tackle and truck stuff, I am fully justified. 

Goooood point.  I don't buy clothes..I live in VERY old t-shirts and leggings.  Haven't gotten my hair done in 3 years....

Back on topic I'm jealous that you can go to a market like that.  I need to google and see if there is anything like that close to me..... you never know...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped in at two of my favourite "honour box" farm stands." 829g (almost 2 lbs) of peppers for 2.00. They are so dense and juicy, I can barely stand to buy peppers at the grocery store as they pale in comparison. I have to make do from October to March when the farm stand is closed. 1336g (almost 3 lbs) of tomatoes for 4.00. My car smelled wonderfully of tomatoes all the way home. As soon as I got home with the tomatoes, my husband took off for the local butcher where we get fabulous bacon, so guess what's on the menu tonight. Will be our first BLT's this year as our tomatoes are a long way off.

IMG_7599 (1).jpeg

Edited by MaryIsobel (log)
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

@Kim Shook Your colorful cherry tomatoes reminded me of one of my favorite FM vendors. They had the various colors separated and always peak ripeness. I asked how they managed the picking without damaging. It is a family affair and they travel to So Cal from Fresno. The one daughter replied that her mother is the only one allowed to pick them as the kids are in too much of a hurry and not careful enough. That is why we pay sometimes (and happily) more at FM.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our first morning in Alicante Spain, at their Mercado Centro.  Much larger than I expected.  Separate floors for meats, seafood, produce, flowers.  We bought unlabeled vinos from casks; giant white beans to take home; coffee for our apartment rental and a bunch of super fancy desserts.

mercado2.jpg

mercado3.jpg

mercado5.jpg

mercado6.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Asparagus season here too…British Columbia southern Interior.

This is the only asparagus I buy as the imported stuff is a waste of money in comparison.

It is presented for sale in large boxes and you select the ones you want.

What sizes do you like to buy, small or big thick stalks?

I like the large ones.  When peeled they end up being large enough to get a nice roast on the outside while being tender and substantial.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

Asparagus season here too…British Columbia southern Interior.

This is the only asparagus I buy as the imported stuff is a waste of money in comparison.

It is presented for sale in large boxes and you select the ones you want.

What sizes do you like to buy, small or big thick stalks?

I like the large ones.  When peeled they end up being large enough to get a nice roast on the outside while being tender and substantial.

The larger stalks seem to have more flavor.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

We've been in Minnesota for about a month now. Seemed the right time to hit up the Woodbury farmer's market.

Really, really close to our house. The trip to the ATM was longer.

Anyway, the spoils

Cantaloupe perfectly ripe and juicy. We got two. 6 bucks each.

Watermelon, small round seedless watermelon that was every bit as good as the cantaloupe. I think this was 6 bucks as well.

Big ole sack of green beans that I haven't cooked yet. They look really good, will pick them tonight and into the slow cooker tomorrow. $5

Big ole sack of Thai green chiles. They're hot. $5

5 ears of corn for 6 bucks, going on the grill tonight. These look really good.

Now for the not so good.

5 bucks for 4 tomatoes, I swear they bought them from a grocery store. Red and beautiful, hard and flavorless. Not going back to that guy.

My wife bought a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread for 9 dollars. Not very good. 

It's a pretty small farmer's market but I like it. Lots and lots of people there. The only prepared food was kettle corn. I'm not a fan, too sweet for me. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

35 minutes ago, chileheadmike said:

We've been in Minnesota for about a month now. Seemed the right time to hit up the Woodbury farmer's market.

Really, really close to our house. The trip to the ATM was longer.

Anyway, the spoils

Cantaloupe perfectly ripe and juicy. We got two. 6 bucks each.

Watermelon, small round seedless watermelon that was every bit as good as the cantaloupe. I think this was 6 bucks as well.

Big ole sack of green beans that I haven't cooked yet. They look really good, will pick them tonight and into the slow cooker tomorrow. $5

Big ole sack of Thai green chiles. They're hot. $5

5 ears of corn for 6 bucks, going on the grill tonight. These look really good.

Now for the not so good.

5 bucks for 4 tomatoes, I swear they bought them from a grocery store. Red and beautiful, hard and flavorless. Not going back to that guy.

My wife bought a loaf of cinnamon swirl bread for 9 dollars. Not very good. 

It's a pretty small farmer's market but I like it. Lots and lots of people there. The only prepared food was kettle corn. I'm not a fan, too sweet for me. 

That's pretty steep for corn at this time of year in Minnesota, but the beans, melons and peppers sound like a good deal for high quality. Terrible shame about the tomatoes and cinnamon swirl bread! But as you settle in, you'll figure out whose stuff you like and whose to avoid...and I'm with you on the pleasure of an outdoor farmers' market at this time of year!

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
GarlicSeptember12th20232.thumb.jpg.312536d1b54bff483f55711d58b76d76.jpg
I think I have enough to at least get me through into the New Year.
Bought all my garlic this season from a local farm.
Karen grows the most perfect garlic.
I first bought mid July when her garlic became available and then added to my stash over the last six weeks.
After all the larger bulbs had been sold, I bought some medium
GarlicSeptember12th20231.thumb.jpg.b5036fa063baf081f35046b2a51448ca.jpg
and then this past week I bought 70 more of the smaller bulbs.
Maybe I'm easily amused, but it makes me happy when I look at my baskets of garlic.
  • Like 11
  • Delicious 2

39 minutes ago, Ann_T said:
GarlicSeptember12th20232.thumb.jpg.312536d1b54bff483f55711d58b76d76.jpg
I think I have enough to at least get me through into the New Year.
Bought all my garlic this season from a local farm.
Karen grows the most perfect garlic.
I first bought mid July when her garlic became available and then added to my stash over the last six weeks.
After all the larger bulbs had been sold, I bought some medium
GarlicSeptember12th20231.thumb.jpg.b5036fa063baf081f35046b2a51448ca.jpg
and then this past week I bought 70 more of the smaller bulbs.
Maybe I'm easily amused, but it makes me happy when I look at my baskets of garlic.

Heading to FM--in hunt this weekend!!

• Like 1

Its good to have Morels

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the southern Appalachian mountain town of Highlands, NC. To stock up our airbnb we drove a few miles north to the town of Cashiers. They have a small farmers' market that's open every day. The selection was limited, but very interesting. There were a few things I've heard about but never until yesterday ever laid eyes on. There were muscadine grapes and also scuppernongs! Both were larger than any grape I've ever seen. I was surprised how thick the skins were; I ended up sucking out all the fruit and tossing the skins. Of the two I preferred the green scuppernongs. There was pristine fresh white corn, which was good. There were greenbeans that were the best in memory. They were clearly very fresh and actually tasted like....GREEN BEANS. Better than any beans I've bought at farmers' markets home in the Bay Area. We splurged on a quart box of blackberries, also delicious. The rest of the haul hasn't been tasted yet: baby crookneck summer squash (so Barbie fucking cute!), a mix of tiny baby fingerlings that were various different unlabeled shapes and colors. Pale yellow onions that are the exact whole size of when I really want a half an onion. A pint each of fresh shelled Black Eye Peas and the same for Butter Beans. A customer in the market swooned when she heard me talking about them and said she liked them just boiled for twenty minutes or so and eaten with just gobs of butter and salt. Sold! We're going to eat the peas or beans tomorrow night for dinner and take the remaining pint down to my daughter's in Decatur. I'm told my twin granddaughters who recently turned two, adore all beans.  I hope they never decide to do what my husband did when was two, which was put dried beans so far up his nose that he had to be taken to the hospital.

We then proceeded to an Ingles supermarket the size of a soccer field. Just a rough guess, of course. I admit I don't do much of the shopping any more, but I never imagined the way the cereal aisle has evolved. Some of them were higher than any child's eye level. In fact they were MY eye level. OMG. There was a box of KitKat cereal; mesmerizing chunks of KitKats floating in a bright blue sky. My husband saw my trance and said, uh, no. I hardly ever even eat cold cereal. If I'm still thinking about it the next time we hit up Ingles I may have to make the leap. After all I'm on vacation! 

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)
  • Like 6

Shame on the town of Highlands NC. Their Saturday farmers' market was mainly a collection of flowers and low rent jewelry. Except for one fellow who had a small selection of vegetables. We got a couple of large purple cherokee tomatoes (a favorite of mine), a bag of fresh shelled purple hull beans and the last bunch of super fresh swiss chard. The chard turned out to be extraordinary. It was unlike any chard I've seen. The leaves were thin and very tender, the stems were so thin they were practically non-existent.  Nothing wasted. Having little to work with we sautéed some garlic in olive oil, tossed in chopped chard, and when wilted, poured in a minimal amount of water, a sprinkle of salt and covered the pan for a few minutes, then cooked uncovered until the liquid was gone. I have never tasted anything like it. Sweet, delicate and totally delicious. I use a lot of chard at home, but this was very different. I'm going to look carefully at other markets to see if the same type of chard is to be found. Does anyone have a clue as to what kind of chard this was?