• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2021 Farmers' Markets

FauxPas

Not technically a Farmers' Market, but the young disabled man who collects parking fees at a pop-up lot on weekends was selling ciruelas that he and his brother plucked out of the plum trees on our street.  

For 10 pesos (50 cents, US) I got a large container.  They were a mix of ripe and green; the green ones are turning nicely. 

These are not cultivated plums, though we wonder if there was an orchard here long ago.  Across the street from my house is a large former hacienda named La Ciruela and the plum trees are in neat rows on our street and 2 adjacent streets. 

The fruit is extremely sweet--surprise!  Not much edible fruit as the pit is about 75% of each plum.  Most of the trees are quite tall, though locals manage to pick them using make-shift baskets on bamboo poles, some use swimming pool skimmers.  Many stand on the roofs of their cars to pick, have seen some horseman stand on their saddles!

ciurelas.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Not technically a Farmers' Market, but the young disabled man who collects parking fees at a pop-up lot on weekends was selling ciruelas that he and his brother plucked out of the plum trees on our street.  

For 10 pesos (50 cents, US) I got a large container.  They were a mix of ripe and green; the green ones are turning nicely. 

These are not cultivated plums, though we wonder if there was an orchard here long ago.  Across the street from my house is a large former hacienda named La Ciruela and the plum trees are in neat rows on our street and 2 adjacent streets. 

The fruit is extremely sweet--surprise!  Not much edible fruit as the pit is about 75% of each plum.  Most of the trees are quite tall, though locals manage to pick them using make-shift baskets on bamboo poles, some use swimming pool skimmers.  Many stand on the roofs of their cars to pick, have seen some horseman stand on their saddles!

ciurelas.jpg

And doesn't natural found fruit like that always seem to taste better? When we got huge pit ones like that as kids we'd keep the pit in out=r mouths and and keep sort of sucking on them - we looked like juvenile delinquents with wads of chewing tobacco in cheeks. 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Lovely day for the farmers market today. Sunny but not hot or windy. Should have taken some photos but it's just a shopping mall parking lot.  Here's the haul:

IMG_4703.thumb.jpeg.bb827b465456be594e53ebd3764fab04.jpeg

From 12 o'clock, we have eggs, an oro blanco grapefruit (yes, still green, very early in the season but I have a recipe that calls for grapefruit zest so I got one), a nice hunk o pork (labeled side slab rather than belly, but similar, I think, some will be ground and mixed with ground pork for chorizo), Meyer lemons, four small blood oranges plus two larger cara cara oranges, holiday wurst from the German sausage peeps (I'm told they are seasoned with nutmeg, cloves and cinnamon and should be excellent cooked with sauerkraut, that's a 1 lb pack of 3 links), three small-ish heirloom tomatoes, two watermelon radishes, a bag of baby kale mix (nice as it can be used in salads or cooked), a massive bunch of flat-leaf parsley, a generous, but more normal-sized bunch of cilantro, sage & thyme and a jar of buckwheat honey. 

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1