• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farmers' Markets 2021—

FauxPas

I grow a chard called "perpetual spinach," which is bred to stay spinach-sized and spinach-tender even when mature (but which is less sensitive to heat than spinach, and won't bolt). It could be that, or some similar cultivar.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

2 hours ago, chromedome said:

I grow a chard called "perpetual spinach," which is bred to stay spinach-sized and spinach-tender even when mature (but which is less sensitive to heat than spinach, and won't bolt). It could be that, or some similar cultivar.

That sounds delicious. But the leaves of this plant were large, like regular chard. It was indeed spinach tender but didn't taste like spinach, and when cooked had a texture I prefer to spinach. If I were planning to be in Highlands on any other Saturday I would go back to see if the vendor was there again. I have a suspicion he would say it was just swiss chard.

• 4 months later...

My beef guy took a well deserved break last month so I had to stock up. Here is a steak I didn't buy. Scored some pretty good sweet corn, avocados, heirloom tomatoes, and some other odds & ends.

image.thumb.jpeg.9a800a843c6e61f56161c6eed7880d8e.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.f849a3b2b1242d1ea0c730763c5dcc9b.jpeg

Edited by haresfur (log)
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

2 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Is it normal for Farmers Market produce to be barcoded where you are?

It certainly isn't here.

I haven't seen it done here but I would't be surprised to see it from a vendor like Novy Ranches, which sells their beef at my local farmers market but also has a small retail shop and sells to a few retail butcher shops.  

Edited by blue_dolphin
missing word (log)

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Is it normal for Farmers Market produce to be barcoded where you are?

It certainly isn't here.

I guess it is part of the software that generates the labels. But there are a lot of biosecurity laws that growers have to watch out for. All cattle and I think now sheep have to have ear tags so they can be traced through to the abattoir. I believe all eggs sold have to be stamped with the producers identification and people have been fined for selling unstamped eggs in their little stand at the end of their drive. 

• Confused 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

3 hours ago, haresfur said:

I believe all eggs sold have to be stamped with the producers identification and people have been fined for selling unstamped eggs in their little stand at the end of their drive. 

Never heard or seen that one mate..?