• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storage Containers for Leftovers

KennethT

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Not sure how much fun counts as fun, but this week I acquired a new MEPAL 1L plastic storage bowl.  I find performance of Rubbermaid storage containers disappointing.  So far the Nordic Green MEPAL seals well and looks sexy.  For those who have a plastic fetish.

Interesting - I have never heard of MEPAL - but they look great on their website. How do they handle staining - like with tomato products or turmeric?  The cheap rubbermaid stuff stains very easily and even after washing, can feel slightly greasy on the inside.

4 hours ago, KennethT said:

Interesting - I have never heard of MEPAL - but they look great on their website. How do they handle staining - like with tomato products or turmeric?  The cheap rubbermaid stuff stains very easily and even after washing, can feel slightly greasy on the inside.

I find this Rubbermaid stuff works just great...

image.thumb.png.f286503aaaefc9d0963dc83455255b6c.png

I have many sizes, no staining ever...(eG-friendly Amazon.com link).

• Thanks 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

35 minutes ago, weinoo said:

do you only use it for storage or have you heated things in it as well?  When I bring my lunches to work, the only option I have there for reheating is the microwave, so I would use the container for refrigerated storage during the day, doubling as the heating/eating dish...

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

My complaint with Rubbermaid is not with staining.  Bowls crack, lids literally disintegrate.  Almost as bad, the styles and colors available are never the same twice.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, KennethT said:

do you only use it for storage or have you heated things in it as well?  When I bring my lunches to work, the only option I have there for reheating is the microwave, so I would use the container for refrigerated storage during the day, doubling as the heating/eating dish...

Only storage - I have no way of reheating in a microwave either here or at work here.

1 hour ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

My complaint with Rubbermaid is not with staining.  Bowls crack, lids literally disintegrate.  Almost as bad, the styles and colors available are never the same twice.

This line does not appear to do that - I guess if I were to put it into a blast freezer, and then into an Anova, after which I placed it on my indoor grill and used it to smash burgers, there might be a problem 😇 .

I do have more of a problem with the great OXO glass storage containers I bought; while they're wonderful, who knew that glass breaks?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 minute ago, weinoo said:

Only storage

Yup. Since it is top rack dishwasher safe I would guess microwaving is a no-no. Not that you have any worries but it wouldn’t work for Ken.  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

16 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Yup. Since it is top rack dishwasher safe I would guess microwaving is a no-no. Not that you have any worries but it wouldn’t work for Ken.  

No - they are totally microwave safe...

Versatile, Stackable, and Leak-Proof

Rubbermaid Brilliance Food Storage Containers are designed to be leak-proof, so you can easily transport sauces, soups, and stews. They stack for easy organization, letting you store meats, veggies, fruit and more in the fridge without clutter.

The stain-resistant construction maintains a spotless look, and the built-in microwave vents make for safe and simple heating. Plus, the containers are dishwasher- and freezer-safe!

• Thanks 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

9 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Rubbermaid does make micowaveable containers.  I bought some by mistake.

Of their bowl MEPAL says "Store your food in the fridge or freezer.  Heat it up in the microwave and serve directly at the table.  Then simply place it in the dishwasher."

Plus it's the most attractive plastic bowl I have ever seen.  Possibly not so great for smashing burgers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, weinoo said:

No - they are totally microwave safe...

Copied from your link:

Freezer-safe, top-rack dishwasher-safe, and BPA-free

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Copied from your link:

Indeed from that link. But if you scroll further down on that page, you'll see where it says they are microwave safe. It even says dishwasher safe, without mentioning top rack - it's lower on the page.

Key Features

• Designed to be leak-proof and airtight
  • Stain- and odor-resistant
  • Modular, stackable, portable
  • Crystal clear
  • BPA-free
  • Microwave-, freezer-, and dishwasher-safe

I think if something is microwave safe, these home dishwashers can't really damage them.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

10 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Copied from your link:

If you read down it does say microwave safe.

18 minutes ago, weinoo said:

Indeed from that link. But if you scroll further down on that page, you'll see where it says they are microwave safe. It even says dishwasher safe, without mentioning top rack - it's lower on the page.

Key Features

• Designed to be leak-proof and airtight
  • Stain- and odor-resistant
  • Modular, stackable, portable
  • Crystal clear
  • BPA-free
  • Microwave-, freezer-, and dishwasher-safe

I think if something is microwave safe, these home dishwashers can't really damage them.

OK then. 

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

1 minute ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

If you read down it does say microwave safe.

So it does. 

My 2004 eG Blog