• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese-Korean Blood Sausage

liuzhou

According to the 2010 census, there were officially 1,830,929 ethnic Koreans living in China and recognised as one of China’s 56 ethnic groups. The largest concentration is in Yanbian Korean Autonomous Prefecture, Jilin Province, in the north-east bordering - guess where – North Korea. They have been there for centuries. The actual number today is widely believed to be higher, with some 4 to 5 thousand recent refugees living there illegally.

Anyway, what I have just taken delivery of is this Korean blood and glutinous rice sausage from Yanbian. I am an inveterate blood sausage fiend and always eager to try new examples from as many places as possible. I'll cook some tomorrow morning for breakfast and report back.

1908437056_KoreanBloodSausage(1).thumb.jpg.f7b55ed2461d79f014af04dc3a669f43.jpg

1656438507_KoreanBloodSausage(4).thumb.jpg.74d9f933df2b740eec683b161224a07e.jpg

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

interested to see how you like that version. My favorite Korean market sells it warm and steaming. Always ladies jockeying for position at the enormous vat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, liuzhou said:

Anyway, what I have just taken delivery of is this Korean blood and glutinous rice sausage from Yanbian.

Of all the foods you have posted over the years  this is one of the least appetizing. And I love blood sausage. 😂

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

2 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Of all the foods you have posted over the years  this is one of the least appetizing. And I love blood sausage. 😂

I tend to agree. It doesn't look very appealing at all. I like my black pudding to be black!

But, you've got to try! Well, I have to!

27 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

I tend to agree. It doesn't look very appealing at all. I like my black pudding to be black!

But, you've got to try! Well, I have to!

I suspect that this particular version would not be easy to acquire here. I will have to enjoy it vicariously.  But let’s be perfectly honest. I probably wouldn’t try it even if I could. I am not that adventuresome anymore. 

• Sad 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As promised, I tried the sausage today. First I cut open a small section. This let me see inside.

1935489105__20210716182950.thumb.jpg.4b765245341564b5215d11f731d0f346.jpg

Too much rice; not enough blood.

Then I fried it in rice bran oil (a neutral oil so as not to influence the taste) wihout any added seasoning.

1947262539__20210716183343.thumb.jpg.c4669f314b6eeccf20ff819f1419a06d.jpg

It was a little mushy and crumbly at the same time, but the taste was actually perfectly nice, especially after  I added a little salt and black pepper. Not bad at all.

Still prefer the local version, though.

And Stornoway has nothing to worry about.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1