Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In great Spanish tortilla debate onion lovers win.


Anna N
 Share

Recommended Posts

In a rare moment of national unity unseen since a certain British chef recklessly floated the idea of adding chorizo to paella, Spain has come together at last to settle one of its most ancient, vexed and divisive questions.

Here

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

It's amazing how something with just potatoes, onions, egg & olive oil can be so gosh darn GOOD!

Even sin onions.

I continue to marvel how potatoes au gratin with just potatoes,, cream,  salt and a little garlic is so perfect.

  • Like 1
  • Delicious 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

It's amazing how something with just potatoes, onions, egg & olive oil can be so gosh darn GOOD!

 

Let's not forget the quantity of oil!  

Even Bittman suggested a lot of oil for his tortilla recipe:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 ¼ pounds potatoes, 3 or 4 medium
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 cup olive oil
  •  Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 extra-large or jumbo eggs
In its most basic form, the tortilla is a potato and egg open-faced omelet that derives most of its flavor from olive oil.
  • Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

 

Let's not forget the quantity of oil!  

Even Bittman suggested a lot of oil for his tortilla recipe:

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 ¼ pounds potatoes, 3 or 4 medium
  • 1 medium onion
  • 1 cup olive oil
  •  Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 extra-large or jumbo eggs
In its most basic form, the tortilla is a potato and egg open-faced omelet that derives most of its flavor from olive oil.

 

Double the onion & amount of oil, and please leave out the black pepper. One egg less will be more balanced from my point of view …

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I lived in Spain quite some time ago , for two years.

 

Tortilla Espanola always had onion in it.

 

it never tasted oily

 

an extra was always made

 

as its superb the next day @ room temp.

 

RT TE was a staple of picnics in the country

 

superb w fiesh baguette style bread

 

Spanish bead had more miga than French 

 

but not as much as Italian.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A good recipe is only a starting place with Tortilla de patatas. You need to make a bunch to fine tune it to your liking. I like to let the onion and potato sit in the beaten eggs for a bit and marry the flavor 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, AAQuesada said:

A good recipe is only a starting place with Tortilla de patatas. You need to make a bunch to fine tune it to your liking. I like to let the onion and potato sit in the beaten eggs for a bit and marry the flavor 


Second that … absorbing the salt into the potatoes and releasing the oil into the egg mixture is key.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Duvel said:


Second that … absorbing the salt into the potatoes and releasing the oil into the egg mixture is key.

How do you like your potatoes cut?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

How do you like your potatoes cut?

 

 


I prefer cubes, just under 1 cm side length. My wife prefers slices of app. 3-4 mm width, with large potatoes halved lengthwise before slicing. Needless to say, with these distribution of preferences cubistic tortilla de patatas are a rare sight in the Duvel household …

  • Like 4
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Call me a Philistine -- I like onions AND chorizo in mine. And I've been known to put cheese on top.

  • Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, kayb said:

Call me a Philistine -- I like onions AND chorizo in mine. And I've been known to put cheese on top.

I was kind of thinking some pimento peppers.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...