• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #87: Potato Salad

David Ross

17 minutes ago, heidih said:

@David Ross The more direct potato & Caesar sounds good, Have you posted your dressing recipe somewhere here? Guessing same plan with Momofuku Ranch would work 

Here it is, been making this for about 20 years. In this recipe the egg is raw, but I'm serving it at home.  Sometimes I'll coddle the egg to slightly cook it. 

1 ½ cups garlic olive oil

½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 oz. can flat anchovy filets

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. chopped capers

¾ cup grated parmesan cheese

1 egg lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  It's best to whisk the dressing by hand rather than a food processor.  

• Delicious 1

1 minute ago, David Ross said:

Here it is, been making this for about 20 years. In this recipe the egg is raw, but I'm serving it at home.  Sometimes I'll coddle the egg to slightly cook it. 

1 ½ cups garlic olive oil

½ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice

1 oz. can flat anchovy filets

2 tsp. dry mustard

2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce

1 tbsp. chopped capers

¾ cup grated parmesan cheese

1 egg lightly beaten

Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  It's best to whisk the dressing by hand rather than a food processor.  

You must have known I'd ask another question ;) A purchased garlic olive oil or house made?

7 minutes ago, heidih said:

You must have known I'd ask another question ;) A purchased garlic olive oil or house made?

Made at home.  I just put a lot of minced garlic cloves in olive oil and let it steep away.  Some people say it will go off, but I've never had a problem with it and use it up pretty quick.  

25 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Made at home.  I just put a lot of minced garlic cloves in olive oil and let it steep away.  Some people say it will go off, but I've never had a problem with it and use it up pretty quick.  

Oh no here come the harmful pathogen posts  so glad you are here with us still ;)  I tend to do mine with the garlic confit oil. Will give your potato Caesar a go when life allows. For now it is in the dream abut it deck.

• Like 1

@David Ross 

do you refrigerate your Finer Oils ?

consider this easy experiment :

near the ' end of the bottle ( or Can ) '

purchase a new unit , in the same manner you did the first :

Internet , local grocery , local specialty shop 

open both and taste each .  double , single, triple blind

no matter .

if there is a taste difference , which do you prefer ?

might be revelational . or not so much

but its easy to do.

Edited by rotuts (log)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, David Ross said:

Some people say it will go off

Out of concern for your continued presence on this earth, I am prepared to be one of those who raise the spectre of pathogens in homemade garlic oil. It is well beyond “it may go off”. It’s about the likelihood of the growth of botulism spores. But current science seems to suggest that as long as it is refrigerated you are probably safe. 

“Garlic in oil is very popular, but homemade garlic in oil can cause botulismif not handled correctly. Unrefrigerated garlic-in-oil mixes can foster the growth of clostridium botulinum bacteria, which produces poisons that do not affect the taste or smell of the oil. 

Here.

Edited by Anna N
Excess verbiage from quote removed. (log)
  • Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

Out of concern for your continued presence on this earth, I am prepared to be one of those who raise the spectre of pathogens in homemade garlic oil. It is well beyond “it may go off”. It’s about the likelihood of the growth of botulism spores. But current science seems to suggest that as long as it is refrigerated you are probably safe. 

“Garlic in oil is very popular, but homemade garlic in oil can cause botulismif not handled correctly. Unrefrigerated garlic-in-oil mixes can foster the growth of clostridium botulinum bacteria, which produces poisons that do not affect the taste or smell of the oil. 

Here.

Commercial garlic in oil can do it too...

(eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

2 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh no here come the harmful pathogen posts  so glad you are here with us still ;)  I tend to do mine with the garlic confit oil. Will give your potato Caesar a go when life allows. For now it is in the dream abut it deck.

Good questions to ask. I prepare it and it goes on the salad, and I also use it to make the croutons I put on Caesar salad, whatever is leftover I refrigerate and use it within a day. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Good questions to ask. I prepare it and it goes on the salad, and I also use it to make the croutons I put on Caesar salad, whatever is leftover I refrigerate and use it within a day. 

Then you will no longer haunt my nightmares!  

• Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I had this potato salad at The Swedish Crown Restaurant in Lindsborg, Kansas around over 45 years ago and loved it.  I bought their cook book but subsequently lost it in a fire.  I recently discovered I had copied into a personal cookbook that I have not looked at much since computers came along.  PS I don't know why it is posting so small.   OK I fixed it somehow.

20210716_204936.jpg

20210716_204936.thumb.jpg.fe93dcad68120a1e5822f1c9d1eebe47.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Norm Matthews said:

I had this potato salad at The Swedish Crown Restaurant in Lindsborg, Kansas around over 45 years ago and loved it.  I bought their cook book but subsequently lost it in a fire.  I recently discovered I had copied into a personal cookbook that I have not looked at much since computers came along.  PS I don't know why it is posting so small.   OK I fixed it somehow.

20210716_204936.jpg

20210716_204936.thumb.jpg.fe93dcad68120a1e5822f1c9d1eebe47.jpg

This is great and spurs my memory that my Grandmother sometimes put sugar in her potato salad.  I remember her making a cooked salad dressing but can't remember how she used it.  This is wonderul and sounds like a good potato salad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2021 at 2:30 PM, Duvel said:

Thanks, @Anna N. You may have already noticed a slight hesitation to answer your first call …

Problem is: Kartoffelsalat (potato salad) is huge in Germany. There are at least as many recipes as households, with vast (and religiously defended) variations across areas, towns and families. It is very difficult to me to sort & categorize, even more so to give guidance. I will try my best to write something up 🙏

I'm probably late on this but here goes anyway.

My Mom's family is from Dresden, she has a bunch of Hummels from before the war. 

There was an earlier thread on which recipe you you will be remembered for. She will definitely be remembered for her German potato salad. She says she got it from her aunt and that made it sound like the only potato salad ever served in Germany.  Every time I've had it other than hers, it's been in a sweet syrupy dressing. I really don't care for that. Her recipe is below:

5 pounds russet potatoes, boiled then pealed and diced.

1 dozen eggs, hard boiled and diced

1 white onion (when I was young, getting an onion was a big deal. I only remember having one when Mom was making GPS. Dad would dice it, his only ever kitchen job.)

1 pound bacon, diced and cooked crisp

Apple Cider Vinegar. Probably 1/3 cup not sure why she never measured this, every other recipe she cooked, she measured everything. 

Salt and lots of pepper.

The bacon was cooked until crisp, then add the diced onion. When it was translucent, add the vinegar and turn off the heat. Mix, serve. 

Still one of my favorite thing ever. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

My background is Scandinavian and I was at University of Oslo for a bit. I remember summer potato salads, often very simple. Maybe like this one with just potatoes, sour cream, mayo, and a LOT of dill. I think the recipe I linked may be heavy on the dressing though, as I seem to recall most being lightly dressed. My problem was with all the dill, I find dill a bit overpowering sometimes. 

A family member made something similar but with lots of radishes in it. Looking online, I see variations with a bit of vinegar or lemon juice, celery, red onion, or even sliced pickles,  like this one from Outside Oslo

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

My mate is a firm believer in store-bought potato salad, because...well, convenience, I think. I've noted before that I'm not much of a fan. It's always too sweet, usually too gloppy. Finally, I'm getting around to trying several recipes that have been cluttering up my browser since this topic began.

Southern Style Potato Salad includes boiled eggs, diced celery, diced onion, dill pickle, and no sweeteners. None. Zero, zilch. The dressing includes mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, celery salt and smoked paprika. I added chopped parsley. I ended up doubling the amount of dressing because it wasn't quite gloppy enough.

20211119_160506.jpg

It got the household seal of approval, with a touch of Miracle Whip added to his serving. He says he's happy to eat this potato salad if I'm willing to make it and he can add the MW!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Smithy, your bringing up this potato salad cook-off again made me want some so I made a batch from a recipe in Julia Turshen's book, Simply Julia.  I've made it often enough that I think it's now my go-to. 

I think the method, if not the exact ingredients, would lend itself to your situation as the mayo is added last so it would be easy enough to use mayo and the dreaded MW on separate portions.  All the rest of the ingredients, save for a sprinkle of parsley, are added to the potatoes while they are warm so they get seasoned thoroughly.  The mustard and vinegar also seem to temper the onion. I can't find the recipe online so I'll paraphrase the recipe in case you'd like to add it to your collection or just try the general idea.

Boil 1.5 lbs baby yellow potatoes in salted water, drain and let sit a few min until you can handle them.  

While they're cooking, whisk together 3 T Dijon mustard, 1.5 T apple cider vinegar, 1 t salt and 1/2 t black pepper in a large bowl. Chop a large stalk of celery and finely dice half a small red onion and add to the dressing mix.  As soon as you can handle the potatoes, cut them as you like, toss with the dressing and allow it all cool to room temp.  Then stir in 3T mayo and a sprinkle of parsley. Season as needed.  Serve immediately at room temp or refrigerate. 

Depending on my mood, I've added additional veg like red or green bell peppers, more celery, green beans.  Yesterday's batch got a bunch of sugar snap peas. 

EC09903A-E4E4-4A6B-A191-7F2AD8CA5FA1_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.61e5932e0302b65a82c3ce3a4d687791.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2