• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #87: Potato Salad

David Ross

1 minute ago, Duvel said:

I think it fits very well in here, given that all potato salad contain at least the cooked potatoes, if not additional cooked onions, carrots, peas, bacon …

Yes.  Many salads include cooked ingredients. 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

8 hours ago, gfweb said:

I put thyme in it too. How's that sit with you?

You could put freshly caught trout in it - it still wouldn't be "potato salad!"

8 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

When my m-i-l first served it to me, I thought so too.    But, open a new window and consider it a totally different dish. 

A shonda.

• Haha 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

13 hours ago, gfweb said:

I've made a mixed potato /sweet potato salad where the potatoes were boiled and the sweet pots were sauteed and caramelized.  May need to reprise this soon.

I was just wondering about a sweet potato salad.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I think this can be classified as a salad, albeit a cooked one. It is served cold as a side dish.

To quote myself from this topic

This sounds delicious.

From my collection of vintage cooking booklets, the 1958 Good Housekeeping Book of Salads.  Some unique potato salad recipes, including Potato Salad with Creamy Sauerkraut Dressing and "Madison Avenue" Potato Salad.  Not sure what ingredient elevated this potato salad to be worthy of the Madison Avenue title. 

Salads.jpeg

Potato Salads.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, David Ross said:

From my collection of vintage cooking booklets, the 1958 Good Housekeeping Book of Salads.  Some unique potato salad recipes, including Potato Salad with Creamy Sauerkraut Dressing and "Madison Avenue" Potato Salad.  Not sure what ingredient elevated this potato salad to be worthy of the Madison Avenue title. 

I had to laugh. Since Madison Ave is associated with the top advertising firms (or used to be) it struck me as using the descriptor as advertising for a goofy potato salad. Were wine vinegar and olives "hoity toity" back then? If they were the ubiquitous canned Linsey black olives I'd have run >>>away

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

What not to do to a nice potato....My mother made these vile things. I even think I've seen this cookbook back home.

Had to be the red wine vinegar that kicked up a notch to Mad Ave status.

• Like 2

I am astounded at the ingenuity. Best-Ever Potato Salad can be made without using any potatoes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

42 minutes ago, Anna N said:

I am astounded at the ingenuity. Best-Ever Potato Salad can be made without using any potatoes. 

If hamburgers and hot dogs can not be made of meat...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

58 minutes ago, rotuts said:

I remember that sort of art-work  

Betty Crocker , loose leaf had a lot of it through out

mid'50's  I still have that book.

I've got about 100 of these little booklets.  They're wonderful, kitschy fun.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, David Ross said:

Not sure what ingredient elevated this potato salad to be worthy of the Madison Avenue title. 

The mustard and wine vinegar?  Cause it sure looks like the Rich Potato Salad on the opposite page!

• Like 2

Tasty Travails - My Blog

The recipe for potato salad with bacon is very close to the recipe I use for German potato salad. (Not surprisingly!) 

Edited by Anna N
An attempt to make it clear that it is a German potato salad! (log)
  • Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

The classic:

IMG_4574.thumb.jpeg.4d8a2e967b4fa091119ab0eecfb08913.jpeg

IMG_4577.thumb.jpeg.e8e9b2a636d5d5fe036f5913164ca7a1.jpeg

Use those fingers and hands!

IMG_4575.thumb.jpeg.9f9bb563006a8f555e6b1dadf8be5e96.jpeg

IMG_4576.thumb.jpeg.670b02500c91cf2ae16f5132139c7ee4.jpeg

Well my Mother surely wouldn't have let me toss the salad with my hands, even if they were washed or I wore gloves. That aside though the recipes look delicious. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Well my Mother surely wouldn't have let me toss the salad with my hands, even if they were washed or I wore gloves. That aside though the recipes look delicious. 

Yes. Tossing potato salad with your hands is just going to break up the potatoes. It needs more gentle folding.

• Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

About two weeks ago I made a Salad Nicoise, with potatoes and of course included tuna.  So given our discussion, does the Salad Nicoise fall into a potato salad category?  Or, would it be considered a seafood salad, or a vegetable salad with tuna or a tuna salad.  Do potato salads have to be exclusively potatoes as the main ingredient, then garnishes like capers, pickles, eggs and bacon?  Or should we look at potato salads in a broader sense?

14 minutes ago, David Ross said:

About two weeks ago I made a Salad Nicoise, with potatoes and of course included tuna.  So given our discussion, does the Salad Nicoise fall into a potato salad category?  Or, would it be considered a seafood salad, or a vegetable salad with tuna or a tuna salad.  Do potato salads have to be exclusively potatoes as the main ingredient, then garnishes like capers, pickles, eggs and bacon?  Or should we look at potato salads in a broader sense?

I think you have opened a can of worms or perhaps potatoes! Right away one is faced with defining a salad. I would say that a salad nicoise is not a potato salad since potatoes are just one of many ingredients. YMMV 

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog