• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

heidih

heidih

@NancyH I've done the simmer in vinegared water and like that flavor penetration.

I do not remember potato salad growing up. I may have had the hot one with the vinegar and bacon but it obviously left no lasting impression. Why I chose to have the grannies helping cook my wedding meal do a huge vat of potato salad "American style" i have no idea other than it could be pre-made and complimented the various beasts the roving Croatian spit masters were roasting for me. I shut them down on the mayo fear with "I have a degree in biology - don't sweat the small stuff".  It was pretty much what @David Ross described above with the mayo though it may have been Miracle Whip (I typed Cool Whip the first time) I prefer it room temp as I find the flavors stand out better and cold potatoes don't thrill me.  A Japanese friend from Yokohama had her potato more mashed and included ham. Not sure if mayo was Kewpie or just regular. She served it at all their gatherings and felt compelled to almost apologetically explain that it was different than American style.

ETA: Russet potatoes only

heidih

heidih

@NancyH I've done the simmer in vinegared water and like that flavor penetration.

I do not remember potato salad growing up. I may have had the hot one with the vinegar and bacon but it obviously left no lasting impression. Why I chose to have the grannies helping cook my wedding meal do a huge vat of potato salad "American style" i have no idea other than it could be pre-made and complimented the various beasts the roving Croatian spit masters were roasting for me. I shut them down on the mayo fear with "I have a degree in biology - don't sweat the small stuff".  It was pretty much what @David Ross described above with the mayo though it may have been Miracle Whip (I typed Cool Whip the first time) I prefer it room temp as I find the flavors stand out better and cold potatoes don't thrill me.  A Japanese friend from Yokohama had her potato more mashed and included ham. Not sure if mayo was Kewpie or just regular. She served it at all their gatherings and felt compelled to almost apologetically explain that it was different than American style.