• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from California

DaveCee

I live in the Central San Joaquin Valley, about 40 miles SE of Fresno. I am a home cook of novice-to-intermediate skill with an ongoing interest in ingredients and techniques. When I cook for myself there are never any complaints. Best wishes. Dave

20201230_085559.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome, DaveCee! I grew up near Visalia ...actually, closer to Ivanhoe, which you may recognize given your apparent location. Are you in citrus country, stone fruit country, or something else altogether?

That looks like mighty fine bread. I still work at it, but my loaves generally don't look as good as that. Yet. 🙂

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thank you. My wife and I reside in the bustling metropolis of Hanford. Both originally from the Central Coast (San Luis Obispo, Morro Bay, Avila Beach, Shell Beach, Pismo Beach, Arroyo Grande). I am retired military (enlisted).

2b01d617afa991f86f89032006ad09e4.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, DaveCee said:

I live in the Central San Joaquin Valley, about 40 miles SE of Fresno. I am a home cook of novice-to-intermediate skill with an ongoing interest in ingredients and techniques. When I cook for myself there are never any complaints. Best wishes. Dave

20201230_085559.jpg

Hi Dave, greetings from Oakland. If you baked bread like that for me I wouldn't complain either.

Thank you. Right now I am interested in carbon steel fry pans, ranch-style omelettes, sourdough bread, truck gardening and charcuterie. Thank you for the warm welcome. I will be reading through the archives. Best wishes. Dave

• Like 1

Lovely bread as others noted. Bit warm in your area? I'm in Los Angeles so pretty tame heat wise. My personal suggestion is to hop into whatever topics you are interested in. Plenty of breadth here. 

Sometime if you want to take us on a culinary tour of Hanford, feel free to do so. I'm very fond of Fagundes Farms' cheese (the Hanford Jack especially). In addition, there's a classic ice cream place downtown - I forget the name, but there's something like an oversized milk can atop the store. (Foster's? I don't think that's right. ) They made, or I hope make, wonderful shakes and ice cream desserts.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown