• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name suggestions for a new line of pans

Franci

Hi there. I have an Italian friend which produces pans. They are launching 6 new lines of pans and they are looking for names for the new lines. We  were talking about this among friends in an Italian cooking forum and I thought it would be great to  ask you as well. Using Italian famous cities has been overused, so the idea was to use an adjective or name that could be associated with the most important cities. Like Rome is Eterna, Venice is Serenissima and so on. Other people made other suggestions but names of famous people for example is out of question for reason of copyrights. 

Any suggestion? Or thoughts? 

Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, Franci said:

Hi there. I have an Italian friend which produces pans. They are launching 6 new lines of pans and they are looking for names for the new lines. We  were talking about this among friends in an Italian cooking forum and I thought it would be great to  ask you as well. Using Italian famous cities has been overused, so the idea was to use an adjective or name that could be associated with the most important cities. Like Rome is Eterna, Venice is Serenissima and so on. Other people made other suggestions but names of famous people for example is out of question for reason of copyrights. 

Thanks! 

How about volcanoes?

And I'd love to see pictures of the pans.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

From a marketing perspective I am having trouble with a descriptor that is not related to pan form or use. Maybe just me.  plus google keywords won't hit right.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, heidih said:

From a marketing perspective I am having trouble with a descriptor that is not related to pan form or use. Maybe just me.  plus google keywords won't hit right.

That was my husband response 😁

Perhaps do a word "association" style game for words that are used when cooking, maybe even some obscure recipe names or pasta shapes - write them on a whiteboard or other huge sheet of paper.  Just write, don't think about the appropriateness of the word, write down everything - then go back and see if you can shorten/elongate/abbreviate some of the words and see what you come up with.  You never know where inspiration can come from.   And then make sure it doesn't mean anything bad/naughty in a different language!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, heidih said:

Maybe check out what All Clad calls some of their pans (i'm thinking generic names like sautoir, windsor, gratin) and see if there is something that sounds "right" in Italian.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, JeanneCake said:

Maybe check out what All Clad calls some of their pans (i'm thinking generic names like sautoir, windsor, gratin) and see if there is something that sounds "right" in Italian.

Perhaps I misunderstood.  @Franci said her friend was launching 6 new lines of pans for which she needed names.  I took that to mean, if you will, families of pans.  What Demeyere would call Atlantis, Industry, Alupro, John Pawson, Resto.  Or Falk would call Classic, Signature, Copper Coeur.

• Like 3

How about using the Italian names for various precious metals or gemstones or semi-precious stones?  They could be used to differentiate by price levels.  Using the Italian names for various herbs could also work and connote an eco-friendly position. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Franci said:

Thanks! 

You have Serenissima and Eterna, how about Superba, Magica, Dotta/Grassa/Rossa, and Nobile?

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Having thought about this a bit more, I feel the names should reflect the differences among the six product lines.  Presumably one is a value line, one is a conductive base line, one is fully conductive.

Could you tell us what are the differences among the six lines?

• Like 1

From my perspective, nothing conveys quality & sturdiness like some good German names:

Karl

Otto 

Wilhelm

Franz

Siegfried

and

Friedrich

(I would probably buy the Wilhelm 28 cm wok pan, and the Franz sauteuse …)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Maybe kind of a cheesy idea, but what the heck. How about the names of some famous Italian artists (@gfweb already mentioned DaVinci):

Bernini

Botticelli

Caravaggio

Donatello

Giotto

Michelangelo (yes, overused)

Modigliani

Raphael

Salvi (Trevi Fountain)

Titian

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:34 AM, Mjx said:

You have Serenissima and Eterna, how about Superba, Magica, Dotta/Grassa/Rossa, and Nobile?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, at the end they are going with this option. My friend was grateful for your help, @JoNorvelleWalker I will definitely get a link to the lines when they will released them. 

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1