• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Schnitzels, escalopes

Susanwusan

18 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

A scallop need not be breaded, vis a vis veal or chicken piccata…

As we've discussed before - tomato tomawto in Schnitzel topic. I think of it as the thin breaded Viennese hanging over the plate but there are unbreaded sauced ones like JaegerSchnitzel. I don't sweat nomenclature for such generic items.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Honkman said:

Since when are Jägerschnitzel unbreaded - that would start a revolution in Germany.

Natur Schnitzel and Jaeger in my experience are floured but not breaded - but perhaps a regional thing . Like Natur being kinda nekkid

Just now, heidih said:

Natur Schnitzel and Jaeger in my experience are floured but not breaded - but perhaps a regional thing . Like Natur being kinda nekkid

At least in my hometown of Hamburg you would get in trouble if you serve Jaegerschnitzel unbreaded (and anything south of Hamburg is anyway redneck country ;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Honkman said:

At least in my hometown of Hamburg you would get in trouble if you serve Jaegerschnitzel unbreaded (and anything south of Hamburg is anyway redneck country ;)

Well then Austria is red neck ;)  Personally I like the plain old breaded with an almost crisp coating. I do not understand sauces on breaded fried things so Chicken Parm baffles me but that is a very personal quirk.