• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

David Chang remembers eGullet in his new book

Jason Perlow

4518A379-0E8D-4BF0-806F-0BBEF4F6A20E.thumb.jpeg.d8b7f6609866fa956b9fa0b5002250db.jpeg

This was from December of 2020 (I guess I missed it)

David Chang’s Memoir ‘Eat a Peach’ Reviewed: An Employee’s Trauma - Eater

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

1 hour ago, Jason Perlow said:

This was from December of 2020 (I guess I missed it)

David Chang’s Memoir ‘Eat a Peach’ Reviewed: An Employee’s Trauma - Eater

There was a lot of pushback at the time; evidently, his "apologies" didn't ring true with some of the people he treated like shit.

• Like 2

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Haha, I remember those days.  It was always tense in there. No smiles or laughs.  The open kitchen/counter concept had to make it even more stressful for someone who wasn't quite the 'people' person.

• Like 1

That wasn't chicken

Click.

I am guessing this is the review being referenced?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Then there's this...

Life Was Not a Peach

The David Chang I visited in this memoir is familiar, though the story he tells, viewed from the perspective of someone who lived on the other side of it, feels distorted: Important characters have been stricken from the page, while his own tale has been edited into an ultimately redemptive one — an inward-looking, relentlessly self-flagellating apology performed in public, when the people he hurt deserve one most of all.

• Like 3

Tasty Travails - My Blog

1 hour ago, weinoo said:

Then there's this...

Life Was Not a Peach

Forget staff treatment (I mean we're talking kitchens and over 15yrs ago).   This,  "He is probably the modern equivalent of Norman Mailer or Muhammad Ali in the 1960s and ’70s,” the New York Times’s Pete Wells wrote in 2018 “.  I mean c'mon.

• Haha 1

That wasn't chicken

5 minutes ago, Eatmywords said:

Forget staff treatment (I mean we're talking kitchens and over 15yrs ago).   This,  "He is probably the modern equivalent of Norman Mailer or Muhammad Ali in the 1960s and ’70s,” the New York Times’s Pete Wells wrote in 2018 “.  I mean c'mon.

Pete Wells forgot Hemingway.

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

More trouble brewing in the empire...

One of Momofuku’s Top Chefs Is Leaving the Restaurant Group

Ssäm Bar isn’t the only restaurant weathering changes in the Momofuku empire. Veteran Ko chef Sean Alex Gray left the long-running tasting menu restaurant in May after over a decade and was replaced by incoming executive chef Esther Ha, who previously worked as the restaurant for four years. Celebrated Sydney restaurant Momofuku Seiobo, helmed by praised chef Paul Carmichael, closed in June. Many of the company’s fried chicken chain Fuku’s physical locations are not open in NYC — with the exception of a shop in Hudson Yards — and the brand now operates almost exclusively out of delivery-only ghost kitchens. Founder David Chang was embroiled in his own controversy as staffers were calling out toxic workplace behavior in kitchens across the country during the pandemic.

• Like 1

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Thought I'd pull these from the archives of anyone is interested.  Interviews with some of the Chefs mentioned 

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2019/3/14/18265299/momofuku-kawi-pre-opening-diaries-vol-1

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2020/6/8/21283768/looking-back-at-america-with-paul-carmichael

Ps i was surprised how bad the fast food chicken place was. Maybe there was something missing in translation when it came to LA?