Makes 12 muffins that can be served either savory or sweet.
See also cornmeal biscuits recipe.
135g AP flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp salt
200ml sour cream
1 large egg
90ml whole fat milk
apx 250g corn kernels - fresh is best, I sometimes used kernels from grilled corn. Frozen and even canned corn also works great.
- Up to 1/2 tsp black pepper (I never skip the pepper)
- Chopped chilies of any kind
- Chopped scallions
- Chopped cheddar cheese
- Chopped feta (reduce salt from the muffins)
- I guess chopped bacon will be really good
- Brush a muffin tin tray with butter, or if you have one, use a silicon muffin tray.
- Preheat an oven to 220dC.
- Mix flours, baking powder, soda, salt.
- Melt the butter, I suggest doing so in a large bowl or pot to which the remaining ingredients can be later added.
- Mix in the sour cream, egg, sugar, milk, corn kernels and any other optional addition.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet ones just until uniform. Avoid over mixing.
- Divide batter among 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 minutes until set and golden.
- Let cool for at least 5 minutes and release from tray.
- For serving: bake again, preferably with convection fan, until deep gold and crisp. Apx 5-10 minutes.
- Can be served savory with sour cream, cheese or butter; or sweet with butter or sour cream and honey.
- Leftovers / planned-overs can be frozen, preferably after the first bake.