• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave ovens

Microwave ovens generate strong feelings, pro and con.    We've had and depended on one since, say, '80.    Husband took an early one to his business for instant lunches and snacks.   Since he retired, we (he) depends on heated leftovers for lunch.   I can't imagine my life without this middle-of-the-day convenience!    Our original model was single-powered, dial operated, perfect for our simple uses.    But pretty gutless.   

Last year we decided to proactively replace it.   BUT we had no interest in a smart microwave.   (In fact, I loathe smart appliances that have been cooking many decades less than I!)      We found our solution with Panosonic Commercial microwave, meant for break rooms, gas-station hot deli counters, etc.  Powerful, idiot-proof, compact, nothing smart about it.    We use it several times a day and would be hard-pressed without it.    We bought ours at a restaurant supply at substantial discount from MSRP.    

239383624_ScreenShot2021-07-07at7_12_39PM.thumb.png.e57ea12b0adf5e77e6945e786ae6b521.png

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.

When we remodeled the kitchen we put in a Bosch oven with a large Bosch MW on top - built into cabinetry. The MW pooped out after 2 or 3 years so we got a cheapo from Home Depot - counter top. Under $100.00. it gets used many times a day for heat or re-heat. Once you have the technique down the leftovers are quick and fresh tasting. A tiny example: my dad likes milky coffee but wants the milk hot. Years of scorched pans- no longer. Every morning into a Pyrex measuring cup and he is happy. Having the right vessel makes a difference. Stepmother recently got one they use for leftovers that has a nice vented lid and handles that don't overheat. BB&Beyond for a pittance. Don't hate me: 'Its a good thing"

• Like 1

I have a Kenmore over-range microwave. It has a lot of different buttons. The main button I use is "power level." You can choose from 1 to 10. The default is 10, I guess. The other button I use is "Potato," for when I can't wait one hour-plus for a baked potato from the "regular" oven.

@Margaret Pilgrim, I like your microwave oven with the turn knob. It looks like it could take a lot of use and abuse.

• Like 1

Samsung built-in in this house when we moved in. Smart mwo; much smarter than me. I finally figured out how to turn it on. MWO critical in this household for the following tasks:

1. Melting butter.

2. Cooking the grandson's chicken nuggets, and defrosting/warming his frozen pancakes.

3. Heating up Child A's chicken and dumplings. They are the one thing I CANNOT make, and she likes Sweet Sue in the can, anyway.

4. Thawing frozen chicken broth when I forgot to set it out in time

5. Making nut brittles for Christmas gift boxes

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I have a friend who, when she was getting her kitchen remodeled, chose a microwave deep enough for a 9x13 casserole dish to rotate on the carousal without hitting the sides. Color me impressed!

Yes, she uses the microwave often for cooking. The one drawback was that the digital interface got fried during a thunder storm and finding a replacement part wasn't easy or cheap.

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

We went with a low-profile over-the-range M/W because the larger ones don't fit well in this house. There is an external wall vent in the house designed for a basic hood vent, so even after replacing kitchen cabinets, a full-sized OTR unit would sit quite low relative to the cooktop. I used to have a full-sized one and it  was awkward. This one was the perfect solution and it actually vents pretty well. Although the interior seemed small at first, I almost never have problems fitting things inside. I'm really happy with this M/W! 

It's also a great solution for people with older cabinets who want to replace a hood vent but don't need to replace cabinets yet. You get a bonus microwave in about the same space. 

https://www.whirlpool.com/kitchen/cooking/low-profile-microwave-hoods.html

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Toliver said:

I have a friend who, when she was getting her kitchen remodeled, chose a microwave deep enough for a 9x13 casserole dish to rotate on the carousal without hitting the sides. Color me impressed!

Yes, she uses the microwave often for cooking. The one drawback was that the digital interface got fried during a thunder storm and finding a replacement part wasn't easy or cheap.

An interesting HEADS UP.    Several months ago, a utility wire that serves our house failed, leaving our house without a neutral ground.  (Fortunately, our son dropped by and realized that the alarm system was down.   He called us and we talked him through shutting down the power to the house and alerting emergency from our utility co.)   But the point here is that every "smart" appliance in the house got fried, while those without computing ingredients survived.   We are now fighting with the utility who wants to substantially depreciate every appliance regardless of how much use it has had.   So we may be out thousands because of their failure.  

Back to KISS.

• Like 2

eGullet member #80.