• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Chef's Press (Weight Adjustable Tool)

Jon S

Does anyone own this or can suggest an alternative to this? If you own some, I'd love to hear your experience of their value (or lack thereof). I couldn't find any reference to them when searching eGullet, so sorry if this discussion has already been had.

Saw these from a video awhile back. It was J. Kenji López-Alt who I first saw using them.

I'm in central Texas and maybe these prices are affordable in the Bay Area but they’re are outrageous to me!

Tempted because it is a neat design which not only allows for stacking for creating more weight, but also "staggering" to create a larger area of coverage. Seems very functional, but I don't have much experience with using any press.

I figure it just helps you free a hand while pan searing meat so you don't have to press the meat yourself. Please educate me if you see it's uses beyond what is advertised. :)

8.oz = $14.00

13.oz = $19.00

https://www.thechefspress.com/shop

170603_Chefs_Press0380_HERO.jpg?format=1

Edited by Jon S
Proofread (log)
  • Like 1

I just put a piece of tin foil on top of what I'm cooking/searing/grilling and put a cast iron pan on top of that.  If needed, I'll add some extra weight, like canned tomatoes.

• Like 2

I don't have a grill press and have been thinking of picking up a couple of Chef's Presses because I like the design of them better than the alternatives. I have held off on the purchase because I don't know that I'd actually use them. But all things considered, $14 or $19 isn't a bad price for what you're getting. You could pay a lot more for a much simpler design. Like this $150 Pressy Downy thing.

4 hours ago, TdeV said:

I also have one like @AlaMoi's. Very rarely use it. I recall using it to squish something with a roundish shape, so that I could get more pan sear.

the round bit works for

bacon strips in the pan - 3/4 in 10"  - note:  I cut full length strips in half

3-4-5 hamburgers

5-6 sausage patties

grilled cheese

thin / mini steaks

chicken breast sliced to half thickness

I also use it on the griddle - pancakes are often preceded by bacon,,, typical bacon strips are longer than it covers but with a little attention to detail one can manage to get the full lengths flat and 'equally' cooked/fried.

however it 'shines' in a 10" frying pan - pan's round, it's round . . . .

more I've forgotten, I'm sure.

it's a neat tool - it not only provides the 'flattening' effect but also is an effective 'no spatter' shield.

• Like 2

On 7/7/2021 at 10:30 AM, Margaret Pilgrim said:

I have one kinda like AlaMoi's.    Never use(d) it.  $1 at a garage sale.    Only time I need to weight something is "chicken under a brick" for which I use a....foil wrapped brick.

I love this

On 7/7/2021 at 11:41 AM, TdeV said:

I also have one like @AlaMoi's. Very rarely use it. I recall using it to squish something with a roundish shape, so that I could get more pan sear.

Exactly. The specific goal for me is to keep steaks from “lifting itself” when it shrinks and tenses up when contacting a searing hot pan. I want that as much pan-contact and these seems like a easy to store. 

After seeing everyones input, me thinks the product in original post is overkill.

Thanks everyone!!

PS @btbyrd That video was very helpful for me! I trust those ladies since I already follow some of their work ;) #Smushlife  

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

I used to have one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cast-Bacon-Press-Handle/dp/B00004UE7B/ref=psdc_3737201_t1_B0002IBQWG?th=1

back in the day.  they were very common.

may still be somewhere 

I have a similar "Bacon Pig" somewhere in my kitchen. Always came in handy when frying bacon...

• Like 3

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

28 minutes ago, Toliver said:

I have a similar "Bacon Pig" somewhere in my kitchen. Always came in handy when frying bacon...

And they are usually adorably made with a pig image

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to bump this thread to ask those who have Chef's Presses what size they like (if they have used multiple sizes). I'm going to put these on my wishlist for Christmas, since they're kind of inexpensive (for a gift, anyway) and I'm hard to shop for. I was thinking about getting two 8oz and two 13oz ones, but I don't know if the "mix and match" approach is best.